This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Climate change has had scientists, activists, and concerned civilians worried sick for decades and I have a feeling that the ignorance is disguised as fear. Climate anxiety is very real and the incompetence exhibited by so many leaders is rooted in the fact that the privileged bear lesser consequences be it health, better land, or overall functioning. The larger consequence, however, will be experienced by everyone if we do not take prompt actions. If you talk to or watch videos of any climate experts, they will tell you that we are past the point where we can do something quick and easy to make big changes happen. Growing talks around fast fashion, sustainable swaps, and other changes that are helpful for the environment in the long run are overwhelming, to say the least and honestly, everyone has varying levels of responsibilities and workload that they bear which makes it difficult to not go for options that are less accessible and take more work. So how do we go about this and what exactly can we do on our part to showcase that change is necessary and most importantly, possible. While what I think might not be the best or only way since creativity is infinite, it does help in easing some of the curiosity regarding this subject. Here’s a perspective from my corner of the world. 

I myself get really overwhelmed since the environment is a broad subject. There are so many aspects to it be it the fashion industry (second largest pollution contributor), ocean health, the food industry, and several more. What helps me is to take a bit of time out to brainstorm every possible question that I have and go about finding the necessary information from there. We underestimate the importance of discussions, information, and the impact it can have on people. Most people are not fully aware of the situation or even if they are, capitalism has us sinking in the fear of not being wealthy or stable enough to make it to care about the environment. So, the growing need of having information is pivotal to have something to work with. I personally find that the best way to go about this is choosing a sector that deeply resonates with you. While I completely agree with researching more accessible and simpler tools to make sustainable choices at home and using social media or other outlets to spread that information, what we really need to realize is that a few individuals who deeply care cannot do all the work and it is not going to be effective either. It is ultimately down to the policies the government implements that can make a whole lot of difference including changes implemented by companies who are worshiped by individuals for the value of their brand name. 

This is also why having talks from the ground level happens to be of sheer importance for brands to know that their actions have consequences and they need to do better and simply, for better outreach. It is nowhere near easy. It is a lot of work and the ignorance towards science from the government became evident as they neglected the impact of COVID-19. This should be alarming enough to realize that we shrug away what does not bother us but forget that it still holds the potential to have adverse consequences. 

Continue to do your version of grassroot activism, use social media to advocate for sustainable businesses, and know that whatever best you can do within your capacity matters! 

Priyasha Mohanty

Delhi South '21

Figuring out as I go