Style > Decor

Quick and Easy DIY Halloween Decor Ideas!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, Spooky Season. Like most people getting carried away with their costume ideas and party planning, the Halloween decorations almost always take a back seat. Setting a pumpkin out doesn’t always cut it with the Halloween decorations either. Are you living at home with your parents, house sharing or living in student accommodation? These quick, easy and environmentally friendly decorations will give your space a nice Halloween touch! These will be shown from fastest to longest, but don’t worry, you will be guided through each step with matching illustrations.

1. Ghost Fridge

This is perfect for any persons living situation and ideal for some extremely last-minute Halloween party decor for the kitchen. 

Things you will need:

•  3 pieces of paper (colour of your choice)
  • Some blu tack, tape, double-sided tape – anything to stick the paper to your fridge.
  • Pen or pencil
  • Scissors

What to do:

• Take your first and second sheets of paper and draw matching eye shapes on either one.
  • Take your third piece of paper and draw a ghostly mouth shape.
  • When all three pieces are drawn on the pages, take your scissors and cut them out.
  • Then take your blu tack or sticky tape and stick the eyes on the top half of your fridge – following with the mouth on the bottom half of the fridge.
  • Voila. Done within minutes!
  1. Crime scene 

Want to creep out the little ones in the family? This simple crime scene “chalk” outline will definitely do the trick.

Things you will need:

• Masking tape (you can get this from any local store or Euro store)
  • A friend or family member

What to do:

• Have your friend or family member lie in a position on the ground with their limbs out from their sides.
  • If you don’t have a spare person, use a position from the diagram below for some inspiration. 
  • Ask them to stay like that for a couple of minutes.
  • While they are like this, begin to outline their body on the ground with strips of masking tape.
  • Once you have completed their whole body outline, they can get up.

A picture containing text, blackboard

Description automatically generated

1. Eye Ball-oons

Want Less creepy, more gory decorations? This section will have you sorted.

Things you will need:

• Permanent markers (You can get a multicolour 10 pack in Dealz for €1.50)
  • White balloons (Also can be gotten in Dealz)
  • Patience.

What to do:

• Blow up some balloons to your desired size.
  • Once you’ve blown up and tied your balloons, draw the outline of the eye on the top of the balloon. 
  • Colour in the pupil black and whatever colour you’d like your iris.
  • When this step is done, add veins and other details that you would like.
  • Hand them around the room or from your ceiling to give a subtle gory feel t your party.
  1. Bat Wall

Although this decor would look fab all year round, we will dedicate this one to spooky season this year. 

What you need:

• Black paper (Again, you can get this in Dealz)
  • Pen or pencil
  • Scissors
  • Blu Tack

What to do:

• Take a page and fold it in half.
  • Draw half of a bat, like the picture below. Do this at the edge where the page is folded.
  • Keep doing this to more folded pieces of paper (as many as you like) at any size or sizes you like.
  • When they are all done be drawn, cut out the out line and unfold.
  • If you have decided to do different sizes be sure to place them out on your floor in the order you’d like to put them on your wall.
  • Now stick them up on your wall, ceiling, door, wherever you like with blue tack.

Diagram

Description automatically generated

1. Door Decor

Paper – different colours

Spook up your dorm door or any door in the house for Halloween. This one isn’t a step by step but rather some inspiration to let your mind run wild.

What you need (Suggestions):

• Paper – white and coloured
  • Markers
  • Cardboard
  • Tape
  • Scissors

Some Inspiration Ideas – with a diagram:

• Googly eyes
  • Keep Out
  • Evil Eyes
  • Frankenstein

Shape, rectangle

Description automatically generated

Her Campus DCU Brand Design Officer 21/22 Dublin, Ireland