10 Things I Wish I Knew as a Freshman

10 Things I Wish I Knew as a Freshman
as told by a sophomore

1. Office hours. Going to office hours makes a world of a difference. Even if it’s just to introduce yourself, the extra effort goes a long way with professors.

2. Union quesadillas. The spicy chicken quesadilla from Davis Cafe is by far the best.

3. Study space in Chambers. Chambers classrooms are open at night and are free for students to use. They’re perfect for study groups or if you want unlimited access to whiteboards(!).

4. How to choose your classes. Take classes because they sound interesting, not just because you think they’re required. Seriously. This way, you’ll be excited about what you study, just how it should be. 

5. Say yes to Flickerball. You’ll get to know your hall and others. Plus it gets rid of your team sport requirement. Do it.

6. The Davidson Greenway Trail.  The trail is just down South Street. It’s a great place to go for a run and clear your mind.

7. Internships. It’s never too early to start looking for internships. The Center for Career Development (located on the bottom floor of the Union) is your go-to place. They’ll walk you through everything and make you an appealing Davidson grad.

8. Ask for an extension. If you need an extension on an assignment, it never hurts to ask for one. Professors usually will work with you, and it’s so much better than turning in substandard work.

9. Don’t get too involved in extracurriculars. Focus on academics and meeting people. You have three more years to find out what other responsibilities you want to take on.

10. Don’t panic! You will, at some point, feel like your life isn’t as together as it should be. Everyone thinks this at some point. You’ve got it under control. Trust me. Afterall, I made it through freshman year.