Style

Fashion and Beauty Tips to Help You Survive the New England Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

The winter term has officially started. And with it, 8 am trudges to class in sub-zero temperatures, frequent blizzards, and minimal exposure to sunlight have started as well. If you find the winter as painful as I do, take a look at some of these winter fashion and beauty tips that I’ve collected over the years. 

1. Snow boots are your best friend. 

Trust me, even when it’s not snowing, you’ll want to wear snow boots. Black ice abounds on campus, and snow boots will help to prevent slippage and injury. Also, a tall, fleece-lined pair of boots will be invaluable in keeping you warm.

2. Dress in layers. 

You’ve heard this one a million times, but it really does work. Wearing a long sleeved tee-shirt under a thick sweater will be much more effective at keeping you warm than the sweater alone. It will also allow you to adjust your outfit on the go in case it warms up later in the day. On the super-cold days, opt for tee-shirts with a waffle-knit.

3. Double up on gloves. 

If you’re like me, then your hands start physically hurting after just a few minutes in the winter air. Wearing two pairs of gloves is the only thing that allows me to traverse the cold.

4. Always have a scarf on hand. 

Scarves both protect your neck, and can also be used to cover your face if it’s really freezing outside. They’re also a really fun way to accessorize and add some color to your outfit.

5. Always carry lip balm and hand lotion. 

In the winter, the air tends to be very dry. Keeping some lip balm and hand lotion with you at all times will ensure that you’re always prepared for the biting cold. If you’re spending longer periods of time outside, keeping some face moisturizer with you can also be helpful. Similarly, make sure that you have a reusable water bottle to stay hydrated.

6. Use coconut oil on your hair. 

Applying coconut oil to your hair for a few hours before showering will protect it from getting too dry. It also has the added bonus of giving your hair some shine.

Hopefully these tips will help you to look and feel your best this winter! Good luck with winter term!

Aishu Sritharan

Dartmouth '20

Aishu Sritharan is a member of the Dartmouth College class of 2020.