Ways to Actually Become a Better You in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Every year we tell ourselves that we are going to do all these amazing new things to improve ourselves, which usually doesn’t last long. This always leads to feeling discouraged, unmotivated, and just like you’ve failed. This is how you can actually stay on top of your goals for the upcoming year.

A common resolution people make each year is that they want to be healthier or lose weight. Most of the time we tend to be very hard on ourselves starting first thing in the morning on January 1, we cut out ALL bad foods, do intense workouts, and leave no wiggle room for ourselves.

A better way to start being healthier is to make more specific goals that won’t take everything out of you just to complete them. A few examples of this would be to decide to drink more water everyday, replace one snack with something healthy per day, or adding in one workout per week. By doing these small acts you start to notice differences in your everyday life, which makes it easier and easier to start implementing more things into your health goal.

Another struggle, is feeling like you’ve failed if you stray away from your goal one time. You have to enter the year with your goals knowing that if things don’t go as planned on the first try, it’s okay to try again and start over. It takes a long time to create a habit, and until you get into that routine of doing something new in your life you have to be able to accept setbacks sometimes.

The stereotypical health related goals aren’t what New Year’s Resolutions should be limited to. Make your goal or goals personal to you. The most important part of actually becoming a better you, is doing the things that you want. So this upcoming year, set goals based on you, not on what other people think you need to do.

Your goals can be anything from saving money, traveling more, making new friends, or being more organized. The great thing about this is that you know yourself better than anyone, and the goals are meant to help you, so be creative and look to find new ways to love yourself and your life when thinking about what ways you can improve you in 2019.

Image credits: pinterest

Paige Marsh

CU Boulder '22

I’m Paige and I’m an advertising major, so I’m really excited to be exploring something outside of my major and writing for her campus!
Sko Buffs!