Sustainability in Athletics: Ralphie’s Green Stampede

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

For sustainability theme week, I researched CU Boulder’s Athletics Department’s sustainability efforts. Here’s what I learned.

Our history is unique.

In 2008, CU Boulder became the NCAA’s first Division 1 athletics program dedicated to sustainability. Our mission was to create a system where every game day makes the world a better place and also encourages fans to adopt sustainable practices in every aspect of their lives. This was the year we rolled out the “Folsom Field Zero Waste Program”, starting with recycling collections in partnership with White Wave Foods. Over the years, we have gained more partnerships including Wells Fargo, BASF, Google, Eco-Products, and Pepsi.

Franklin Field diverts 33% of waste from landfills.

Football fans know the place to be is Franklin Field, the car-free and zero-waste zone east of Folsom next to the Indoor Practice Facility. The natural grass turf is pesticide-free and there is no glass allowed on game days. Instead, Eco-Products supplies compostable serviceware in all tailgate tents. Will you and your tailgate crew win the Tailgater of the Game competition?

“Water for the West” has helped restore 11 million gallons of water to the Colorado River.

The CU Athletic Department boasts a zero-water footprint and collects text pledges from sustainability-conscious Buffs. You can join for free by texting CUWATER to 27126, which prompts a donation by the school to the Bonneville Environmental Foundation and Change the Course.

We have two Net Zero Venues on campus.

In addition to Folsom Field, the CU Event Center has been updated to host zero-waste athletic events. Other buildings like the Basketball & Volleyball Practice Facility and the Champions Center Complex are being updated and seeking the same certification. How does this happen? There is a checklist of sustainable features needed, such as: public transportation access, bicycle storage, protection of the natural habitat, maximized open space, light pollution reduction, water use reduction, rooftop solar panels, collecting recycle and compost to divert waste from landfills, and more.

P.S. The Indoor Practice Facility is already recognized as the NCAA’s first net-zero energy facility thanks to solar panels!

There are multiple ways to eat and drink and still be sustainable.

We have plenty of opportunities for fans to be conscious of the environment while enjoying themselves at sporting events. First, the Ball Corporation and the use of aluminum cups and bottles. Second, Eco-Products sustainable utensils and containers. Finally, PepsiCo asks fans to “bring your bottle back” via recycling at our facilities. These companies also invest in our communities in local K-12 schools and in partnership with other athletic organizations like the Seattle Mariners and the Minnesota Twins, for example.

As students at CU Boulder, we have an obligation to respect and care for the beautiful natural environment around us. If you want to get involved with Ralphie’s Green Stampede or just want to learn more, you can visit their website.

Sarah Adams

CU Boulder '26

Linguist and cat person, most likely watching a hockey game, but I ought to be working on my dissertation.
Sko Buffs!