Parties and Pepper Spray (How to Stay Safe When Partying During the Spooky Season)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

*Trigger warning for sexual assault*

Charlotte Youngman

Halloween is one of the most exciting times of the year for people all over. Lindsey Lohan in “Mean Girls” said it best, “Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total sl*t and no other girls can say anything about it.” We get to let our creative (and maybe sl*tty) sides out, and we have an excuse to go crazy for a whole weekend. That being said, we still need to ensure we stay safe during Halloweekend. Tips for staying safe when drinking at any event can be applied to any time you decide to party, not just during the Halloween season, but the risk is higher during the spooky season. So, let’s talk about it: 

Learn who you are with

People’s identities can be hidden so ensure that you or someone you’re with gets the full name (not just the first) of the person you are talking to! Get them to take off the mask if you can. You could even try and find them on social media to confirm who they are. 

Watch your drink

Make sure to keep a constant eye on any drink you are consuming. Date rape drugs (heres a great article that goes into this in more depth https://mylifeaftercoffee.com/ways-to-detect-the-date-rape-drug/)  tend to have a specific look to them. Sometimes it’s a color change, a cloudy tinge, excessive bubbling, it has a salty or bitter taste, etc. Obviously, don’t let anything you’re consuming out of your sight unless you’re leaving it with someone you trust. Halloween drinks can be fun and might be themed, so make sure you are looking closely at what it looks like when you first get it compared to the rest of the night.

Don’t let anyone walk alone

The buddy system is always smart, no matter your gender. Again, people think they can get away with more (during this time) since it’s socially acceptable to hide their identity more easily on Halloween, watch your back and keep an eye on any suspicious behaviors. Don’t leave anyone in a compromising situation. If you see someone getting taken advantage of or someone who simply does not look like they can take care of themselves, do your best to help. Get them water, stay with them until a friend arrives, even taking the leap to get medical help if need be. Just don’t be a bystander. 

Plan a designated driver

Another given, but have someone stay sober even if your group is not driving. I know it seems boring but it really is the safest option. Having someone (depending on the size of the group, maybe more than one person) staying sober is so important because not only can they keep the group safe and together, but it will also scare off any potential perpetrators. 

Be wary of who you trust

Do not trust everyone you meet! Drunk girls tend to get buddy-buddy with other girls when they are out and about, but just because they are not male does not mean you should trust them. People can have all sorts of motives so ensure you know who you are dealing with. I feel as though we tend to think about sexual assailants more than other perpetrators when we’re drinking (which is good, we need to be wary). However, this does not mean it would be a good idea to let your guard down in any other way. For example, keep a good grip on your wallet or any valuable object in your possession when going out. You may think someone can be trusted because they are not targeting you sexually, but that is not always the case. This is especially important during Halloween because your costume can contain expensive pieces, keep track of all of it! 

Give a fake number

Memorize a fake phone number (can be to a prank call line, whatever you want) that you can give to people who won’t back off. I know it’s in my nature to want to tell them to back off, but sometimes you need to play nice to save yourself from further trouble. Memorizing one is the safest just in case they ask you to repeat it back to you. Here are some fun ones I found:

• 605-475-6968 (Rejection hotline)
  • 605-675-6960 (Divorce hotline. Not for real divorces, don’t worry)
  • 605-475-6959 (Bad breath hotline)
  • And lastly, in the spirit of Halloween, 407-734-0254 (This one directs you to a man named Wrinkles the Clown. I feel like it’s self-explanatory why this is creepy.) 

Don’t victim blame

If your friend runs off with a man while she’s drunk even when you told her not to, don’t shame, just try and help. Remember, being intoxicated inhibits clear thinking.Make sure the person is safe but remember you can’t control everyone. Also, never fall into the trap of victim blaming for clothing choice, so keep those thoughts to yourself. Just because you would never wear a sl*tty bunny costume doesn’t mean that a girl doesn’t look hot as hell and it especially does not mean she deserves to get sexually assaulted.

Most importantly, have fun!

I know I just unloaded a ton of “now I’m sh*tting my pants, how am I supposed to have fun?” information on you, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Halloween is supposed to be one of the best times of the year for college kids (well, and small children, hopefully for different reasons) so let’s party while being as safe as we can be. We don’t want to ruin one of the best days of the year by associating bad memories with it. So, dress up however the f*ck you want, but make sure you’re making safe choices because, as saddening as it is, we live in a society that favors men. So even if what happens is 100% their fault, it can still come back to bite you in the ass. We need to have each other’s backs to keep Boulder and Halloween the best it can be.

Charlotte Youngman

CU Boulder '25

I am a freshman majoring in Childhood Education. I love writing, reading, and anything to do with literature!