Mall Crawling: How the Halloween Mall Crawl Inspired Me to Check Out Pearl Street’s Coolest Stores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The Pearl Street Mall Crawl is a Halloween event from the 1980s that finally made a reappearance this year. In the late ‘80s thousands of people would pack themselves onto Pearl and hit the bars, but it got too destructive too fast. The city of Boulder and the university put a stop to the event, but @barstoolbuffs and the students of CU were ready to come back with a vengeance this year. I decided to explore some of the cool store fronts. Here’s a run down of my experience at this year’s Mall Crawl and how the event can make Boulder businesses more popular. 

The Boulder Mall Crawl started in the 1980s, but it wasn’t nearly as extreme as it came to be in the years that followed. What started off as a bunch of college students wandering Pearl Street to bar hop turned into something crazy that people from all over came to experience. Quickly, the event turned from something exciting to do to celebrate the spooky season to a vandalism fest. When the event-goers turned to violence, window breaking, and property destruction, the Boulder police shut the event down in 1991. Any Halloween events on Pearl Street that took place in the years to follow we’re to stay family friendly and non-destructive.That is, until the late 2000s when a Facebook group decided to reminisce on the fun of the old days and schedule the infamous mall crawl again. This time around, police activity was stronger to reduce vandalism and  the Boulder City Police and the university stopped the event before it even started.

That’s where this weekend comes in. Mall Crawl was resurrected yet again this Halloween season. I was excited!  Both of my parents went to Boulder in the late ‘80s and I’ve grown up hearing stories from the OG mall crawls.The night still got crazy, crowded, and overall destructive so I’m not sure if the Mall Crawl will be making an appearance next year. As a freshman, my first halloweekend in Boulder did not disappoint. I haven’t had much time to explore pearl street (why would I ever want to leave the campus? It’s stunning), so the mall crawl doubled as a great opportunity to check out some of the storefronts and fun spots i want to go back and check out: 

Astro Coffee Bar (their website is currently down so here a Yelp page!)

Astro Coffee Bar is a space-themed coffee stop on Pearl and what street? that seems… out of this world. The unique spot specializes in speed and good service to deliver a welcoming vibe. The menu is filled with plenty of fun drinks that everyone could find something they enjoyed. I’m excited to try beverages such as the Nutty Astronaut, the SuperNova, and Dark Matter. They also have traditional choices (for those of us who know what they like and don’t need to stray) such as hot tea and regular lattes. I’ll definitely be checking this spot out for my next homework-in-a-local coffee shop day.

Address: 2052 Broadway 

Apocalypse (Used Clothing Store):  

Apocalypse is a buy, trade, and sell clothing shop that’s located on Boulder’s Pearl Street Mall. The store exhibits some gorgeous pieces: designer, vintage, and everything in between. The store is known for having a super friendly vibe and good service. They are also super unique in the way that you can actually come in and trade clothing, which I’ve actually never heard of. It’s a great way to expand your closet and get some new pieces to add to your wardrobe. Definitely worth checking out if you find yourself in a shopping or thrifting mood. 

Address: 1813 Pearl St

BoCo Life (All Things Boulder Related)

BoCo Life is a store that specializes in all things Boulder-related. This includes clothing, stickers, kitchen items, bags, toys, and more. Everything has their own Boulder twist, such as fun-shaped kitchen loofahs, cups and mugs with the Flatirons, and any Boulder t-shirt you could possibly want. I have been in here with my mom and the service was nothing short of phenomenal. Beware though, everything is so cute that we walked out with over $200 worth of cute clothing. 

Address: 1615 Pearl St

Bramble and Hare (Pub/Restaurant):

Bramble and Hare is a restaurant that serves many great dishes. Specializing in farm fresh produce and a vintage feel, the restaurant is a must-do whenever you find yourself on Pearl 

Street. What I love so much about this restaurant is the fact that Bramble and Hare (and their sister restaurant Black Cat Farm have the option to donate produce to families in need on their website. It gives a heartwarming uniqueness to the restaurant. The environment is so friendly and inviting, and I fully intend to get myself a plate sometime soon. 

Address: 1970 13th St

Falafel King (Restaurant):

I saved my favorite for last, Falafel King is a fantastic Mediterranean cafe in the middle of Pearl Street that I have been to three times since I’ve moved in. The food is incredible, and the service is very friendly and fast. You get to watch the food be made in front of you, so my friends who eat Halal and have Celiac disease were able to watch them make their food to ensure it was safe to eat (they cleaned off the grill completely before making either meals). The restaurant is warm and comforting and is the perfect place to rest your legs and fill your belly before you move to another store. 

Address: 1314 Pearl St

Boulder’s Mall Crawl may have ended as a bust in some ways, but it also gave immense exposure to many of Boulder’s coolest spots. The ones I listed are just a select few of the cool ones on Pearl Street. If you ever want cool vintage clothes, Boulder-inspired gear, some fantastic food, or a latte from a new coffee shop, have your own Mall Crawl and hit Pearl! 

Charlotte Youngman

CU Boulder '25

I am a freshman majoring in Childhood Education. I love writing, reading, and anything to do with literature!