6 Reasons Fall in Boulder is Pure Magic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

While mother nature seems to be a little behind schedule this year, bringing us 90-degree weather in mid-September, grocery stores have begun putting out Halloween goodies, the pumpkin spice latte is back, and the leaves are starting to change. There is only one explanation for all of these beautiful changes: fall in Boulder is making its highly anticipated return! Whether you are a veteran or this is your first Autumn in Colorado, it is guaranteed not to disappoint. Here are 6 reasons why the next few months are destined to be spectacular.

1.    If you thought Boulder could not get any prettier, think again!

No one can deny that the University of Colorado Boulder is one of the most beautiful places on earth. We are spoiled enough to spend our days in the shadows of the Flatirons, but when the colors begin to change, Boulder looks like something out of a fairy tale. On campus, the hill, Pearl street, Chautauqua, and everywhere in between, the trees turn every shade of red, yellow, and orange. Be sure to take some time to put down the books and go enjoy the fall colors because their only flaw is they don’t stay long! 

2.    Everything is sweeter in the fall

If you have a sweet tooth like me, welcome to the best time of the year! Everything from coffee to apples takes its own Autumn spin and ends up even more delicious than before. Pumpkin spice and salted caramel have made their way back into my morning routine. Basic as they may be, it is hard to hate on something so delicious. Halloween also calls for the delicious slice and bake pumpkin sugar cookies (or cookie dough if they don’t make it to the oven), and all the candy your heart desires!  *disclaimer: don’t forget to floss! All this sugary goodness can wreak havoc on your teeth!

3.    Fall Fashion…FINALLY! 

I swear some of the trendiest people I have ever met are CU students, so the campus fashion game is strong year-round. However, with chillier weather comes great opportunity (if said weather ever comes…). Cozy sweaters, booties, and beanies can finally be freed from closets and make their return to daily life. There is nothing better than feeling comfortable and looking great, and that is fall fashion in a nutshell. Whether you like colors and prints or wear head to toe black every day, fall provides the freedom to play with your wardrobe and experiment more than any other season. Catch me on campus getting outfit inspiration from all you Boulder baddies!  

4.    So much to do, so much to see

There is always plenty to do in your spare time in Boulder, but this season seems to pack an extra punch. The farmers market near Pearl St runs through the fall on Wednesdays and Saturdays and is an easy walk from campus or a short bus ride with your student bus pass. There are also several pumpkin patches and haunted houses that come into town perfect for cute fall photo shoots and testing your bravery. Fall is also a great time to get in a few more good hikes before the snow comes and the trails get muddy! 

5.    The rise is real

All the true CU fans know the rise is real, even when it’s not. Regardless of if our beloved CU football team is 3-0 or 0-3, fans will be out tailgating before every game and in the stands to cheer on Ralphie and the buffs. Football season is the best time of year because school spirit is at an all-time high and there is a valid reason to start your dartying at 10 am. Tailgate season also brings out a whole new category of fashion and allows guys and girls alike to get creative with their outfits. So throw on your black and gold overalls or your cheer skirt and join the fun. Skooooo Buffs!    

6.    The best holidays are just around the corner

The best holiday of the year is Thanksgiving, and I will defend that statement until the end. What could possibly beat a day spent stuffing your face with delicious food and being grateful for all that you have, followed by days of leftovers! My whole year revolves around this glorious day, so the start of fall means we are that much closer. Luckily, to break up the time in between, we have Halloween which, in Boulder, is no small affair. If you are like me and have trouble choosing just one costume each year Halloweekend is perfect for you because you can be it all! With multiple days you can choose to go out or stay in as much as you’d like, and reuse the same costume or have 3-4 different ones! 

If I really wanted to, I could likely come up with one hundred more reasons why fall is the best season. Whether you decide to do it up big and visit every local haunted house, or stay home and binge watch the 13 nights of Halloween on ABC Family (or whatever it’s called these days), this wonderful time of year has something for everyone. So let’s all raise an apple cider, and cheer to the truly most wonderful time of the year and all that it has to offer! 

Cali Edgar

CU Boulder '20

Cali is studying English LIterature and Secondary Education at the University of Colorado Boulder with the hopes of one day being a high school English teacher. Before coming to Boulder, Cali spent one year at the University of Tampa playing lacrosse, however, this Colorado girl missed the Rocky Mountains and came back home her sophomore year. Cali is also on the executive board of the Beta Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi and works at Momentum, a fair trade boutique in Boulder. When she is not at work or school, Cali can be found practicing (or teaching) yoga, scarfing down street tacos, or missing her overweight pup Sam.
Sko Buffs!