Student Profile: Amanda Cort

This week, Her Campus Cornell is pleased to feature Amanda Cort!

Name: Amanda Cort

Major: ILR

Hometown: New York City, New York

Favorite quote: “The best way out is always through” –Robert Frost

Favorite color: Yellow

Favorite TV show: Vanderpump Rules

Favorite movie: Candleshoe

Favorite book: I recently read The Giver. I feel like everyone read it in middle school, but I just did. My 10 year-old sister and parents had already read it, and they hounded me over break telling me to read it. I finished in one night, and it was really good. It made me reflect on a lot of current issues and on how grateful I am for all my family and friends.

What do you do on campus?

I’m in a sorority - Alpha Chi Omega. I’m VP Risk Manager for it. I’m also involved in research. One position I’ve been involved with since last semester is through the ILR Worker Institute, and I’m working on Lara Skinner’s project called “Labor Leading on Climate.” We research ways to figure out how New York State can transition workers from jobs that harm the environment to greener jobs. The other one I just started this semester. My position is at the Lab of Rational Decision Making, and I’m on the Psychology and Law team. Specifically, I work on the plea-bargaining project where we basically are figuring out why people are prone to plead guilty when they’re actually innocent. I’m also on the peer review board, which is a group of students whose goal is to educate rather than punish other students who violate house rules within Cornell’s undergraduate residential communities.

Favorite part of Cornell?

I want to say the people, but really I think Cornell is the perfect fit for me academic wise. I feel like I’ve really found a home within ILR. When I pick classes for the next semester, I’m interested in all the ones they offer. I think you can tell the professors enjoy teaching us, and all the classes I’ve taken are really interesting.

Dream job?

I want to be the First female Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. I’ve always been interested in law, and I’ve always talked about it with my family as long as I can remember. It was a big part of my upbringing. I thought I wanted to be a litigator, but after being at Cornell and learning about inequalities within the criminal justice system, I feel like a judge’s job is so important. You need to be impartial and fair and look at the laws in the most objective way. Obviously being on the Supreme Court is a very long-term goal, but it would be significant to show that a woman can become the Chief Justice, especially in this political climate.

Any advice for freshmen?

If any freshmen are reading this, I would say something I didn’t expect at Cornell was how competitive different things are. I tried out for 10 to 15 things freshman year and wasn’t accepted to any of them. So I want to tell them not to give up or feel defeated, because there are so many other opportunities here. Even if you don’t get into one thing, that’s okay, there will be another one that’s best for you. You just have to find your niches. Also, check your emails and then read them! Because that’s where I found everything that I’m involved in, except Alpha Chi.

What’s something people don’t know about you?

When I was younger I loved musicals and acting and singing, so for my 10th birthday I had an Annie themed party. I dressed up and made everyone watch me sing. I had a red dress and tight curls in my hair and everything. Good times.