5 Last Minute Trips to Take This February Break

With February break approaching, everyone is eagerly planning their escapes from Ithaca. If you’re lucky, this means a quick trip home to somewhere in the tri-state area, but if you live further away you might be facing the prospect of being stuck in Ithaca for four day with no one around and nothing to do. If you’re one of these people, have no fear! Here are 5 easy trips (5 hours or less) for you to take this break!

1. Philadelphia, PA

Not the most popular choice here at Cornell, but at only 4 hours away, Philly is around the same distance as NYC and is sure to be a unique experience. Offering world-class entertainment at the Kimmel Center, abundant American history in Old City, and unrivaled cuisine at Reading Terminal Market, Philly has something for everyone. Top off your Philly trip with skating at historic City Hall or the ever-popular River Rink.

2. New York, NY

Probably the most common choice for short breaks, but for good reason. NYC is easy to get to from Ithaca, has an abundance of entertainment options (hello, Broadway!), and will give you the chance to try all the most Insta-famous foods (your friends will literally be drooling over your Insta). Complete your winter trip with a stop by either Central Park or Rockefeller Centre for some iconic seasonal ice-skating.

3. Ottawa, ON

Spend your long weekend exploring Canada’s capital! At just over 4 hours away, Ottawa has a lot to offer this time of year. From Parliament Hill to the National Gallery of Canada, the city is bustling with the best of Canada’s history, art, shopping and more. Your trip wouldn’t be complete without a stop by the Rideau Canal, the longest outdoor naturally-frozen ice skating rink in the world!

4. Toronto, ON

If you’re still listening to “Nonstop” and “In My Feelings,” head up to Drake’s hometown, Toronto! While you’re there, make stops at the Royal Ontario Museum, Kensington Market, the Distillery District, and the CN Tower for one of the best views in the city. Complete your trip with a stop by Natrel Rink, an outdoor skating rink with amazing views!

5. Montreal, QC

Last, but certainly not least, Montreal! If you’re craving a taste of Europe with amazing views, food, nightlife, and culture, then it’s time to go. Start your day off in the Old Port where you can enjoy the scenic cobblestone streets, skating, and the iconic Canadian food, BeaverTails (it’s a pastry, they’re not actually eating beavers’ tails!). Later, find your way up to Mount Royal where you can enjoy scenic outlooks of the Montreal skyline!