Style > Decor

3 Dorm Decorations that Make my Space Feel Cozy During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

I personally am not one for those elaborate dorm transformations — I’ve picked up a few decorations here and there over the years, but my dorm rooms have always looked pretty bland, simply because I could not be bothered to purchase overpriced decor that probably would never see the light again after I graduate college, and am too indecisive to commit to an aesthetic. I love the idea of a customized, cozy college dorm room, but it’s just never happened for me.

This year though, that’s changed, along with almost every other aspect of my college experience. All of my classes are online, and most of my go-to study spots on campus either have reduced hours or completely closed, which means that I’m spending way more time in my dorm room than I normally would. So, I figured I’d make my dorm look a bit more lived-in, a bit more home-y, to reflect this new lifestyle. Some more decor pieces would give me a sense of normalcy, I thought, and would make me feel comfortable in my space and motivated to study at this less-than-ideal setup. While my current dorm situation still pales in comparison to other dorm transformations, I’m obsessed with how cozy my space feels. and I love how it feels like a reflection of my personality — it’s comforting. In addition to the tapestry, art prints, and geometric garland I already had, here are three items that, in my opinion, take my dorm to the next level. 

Curtain String Lights

While string lights are arguably the go-to decor item to brighten up a room, I recommend upgrading to the curtain style because they make more of a statement and are a great way to fill a blank wall. I got mine from Target for $15, which seemed like a pretty reasonable price. These particular lights are much dimmer than I was expecting, but I don’t mind, because I hang them over my tapestry. I’d recommend a brighter set of string lights for hanging over a blank wall, though.

Moon Phase Wall Hanging

While shopping for dorm decor, I wanted to purchase a few pieces that were more mature and durable than, say a photo wall or posters — something I could use to decorate a future apartment, for when I finally graduate and move into my own apartment. I love the aesthetic of moon phase-artwork, so I picked up this wall hanging from Twenty Seven Things on Etsy. She offers this item in a variety of colors; I ordered mine in Rose Gold, to match the pink accents elsewhere in my room. This wall hanging is stunning and very high-quality, and I love knowing that I’m supporting a small business. 

Cloud Wire Wall Light

The desire to find statement wall art that wasn’t a photo or art print also led me to impulse-buy this Cloud Light. This piece, which I purchased from Dormify, is just plain fun, and a trendier take on fairy lights. And I guess now my room has a space/sky motif, which I’m absolutely obsessed with.

Bonus: Handheld Milk Frother

While not a decor item, I’m still including my newly beloved milk frother because of how much it’s improved my life. With campus coffee shops closed, I can’t get my latte fix. Naturally, I needed to buy a milk frother to level up my coffee game — sometimes a basic cup of instant coffee just doesn’t do it for me. Plus, I’ve been surviving off of dorm snacks and dining hall takeout, which can sometimes be unsatisfying, so my ~fancy~ coffee makes my meals feel more delectable and enjoyable. This handheld milk frother works super well and is easy to use and store. At $20, it’s the same cost as 5 cups of coffee and I’ve definitely drank more coffee than that already. So, I’m really just saving money here. 

If I’m going to be holed up in my room for my four — yes four — Thursday classes, why not make the best of it? 

How did you spice up your space for this year? Let us know on Instagram

Samantha is a senior at Connecticut College, double-majoring in Sociology and Economics. She is currently the Beauty Section Editor and a National Writer for Her Campus, having prior been a Beauty Editorial Intern during the summer of 2019. She is also a writer and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Conn Coll. She is passionate about intersectional feminism, puns, and sitcoms with strong female leads.