Campus Cutie: Susanna Mathews

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Susanna Mathews! You can catch this humorous junior walking around campus giving tours, educating fellow Camels through her involvement with SafteyNet, or maybe even during one of her coffee breaks from her internship with the District Office of Congressman Joe Courtney! When this cutie isn’t watching 30 Rock or Parks and Recreation you can find her in the Holleran Center for Community Action and Public Policy where she has become a distinguished scholar. Read more to find out about Susanna’s most embarrassing camel moment, her expectations for her upcoming trip to Vietnam, and much more!

Class Year: 2016

Hometown: Chatham, New Jersey but my senior year of high school I moved to Vienna, Virginia

Major: Government

Minor: History

Extracurricular activities: Safety Net member, Tour Guide, Scholar in the Holleran Center for Community Action and Public Policy, Constituent Services Intern at the District Office of Congressman Joe Courtney

How do you feel about being Campus Celebrity/Cutie?

Confused….Her Campus has made a terrible mistake.

Celeb Crush: Amy Poehler

Relationship status:  Single

Describe your ideal date:  Dinner in New London, maybe a walk in the Arbo, and then Gilmore Girls after.

What qualities do you look for in a significant other? Intelligence, sense of humor, nice eyes and smile.

What is your favorite part about being a tour guide? Almost hitting my head on the stop sign by Olin every tour. But seriously I do love getting to talk with prospective students and tell them all about the great things Conn has to offer. It’s pretty cool to have a captivated audience to listen to all of my rambling, overly-enthusiastic personal stories.

We heard that you are interning at the District Office of Congressman Joe Courtney! What are some of the tasks you are responsible for and how have you enjoyed your experience so far? Basically I help the rest of the office with whatever needs to be done. That could be drafting a letter, creating certificates, answering phones, or any other random task that needs doing. It’s been great to get a chance to see the how the federal government interacts with the local community and to see everything I’ve been studying in action. Plus I have a co-intern who’s pretty cool even if he does go to UConn.

Why did you choose to be a government major? It all started when I decided to be Martha Washington for Halloween back in second grade…but seriously I knew that I was interested in how our country is run and how individual citizens have a role in the decisions the government makes. Government encompasses so many aspects of our lives that I knew I wouldn’t be forced to focus on one particular area. I’ve been lucky to learn about a wide variety of topics and my outlook on things has changed completely since I’ve been at Conn.

Are there any specific projects you are currently working on for your major or your extracurricular activities that have especially peaked your interest? Right now I’m in the process of researching and writing a paper on the radicalization of Christian White Supremacist groups for my Government seminar “Countering Terrorism and Insurgencies”.  I’m interested in national security and it’s been cool to learn about an under-researched topic.

What are your expectations for your upcoming trip abroad to Vietnam? Honestly I cannot even begin to imagine what my semester is going to be like. I’ve heard phenomenal things from people who have been on the trip before and I’m excited to just jump right into things. I’ve never traveled before so I’m expecting that the first few weeks of the semester will be filled with stupid questions.

What is your guilty pleasure? Reenacting this video with my freshman year roommate Bronte https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPA3I7QeLE8 (I don’t actually feel guilty about this whatsoever)

What is your favorite TV Show? Parks and Recreation or 30 Rock

What is your spirit animal? Tina Fey

Do you have an embarrassing Camel moment? First day of classes freshman year I couldn’t figure out how to get into Fanning. I just kept wandering back and forth in front of the building until a kindly upperclassman took pity on me and told me where the door is.

Anything else you’d like to share? I like Hint of Lime Tostitos more than I like most people.

Annie Clay

Conn Coll

Annie Clay is a junior at Connecticut College from Westchester, NY. She is majoring in Economics and enjoys reading the Wall Street Journal and watching re-runs of The Office. Annie loves starbucks coffee and going to spin class.