My 3 Favorite Mascaras

Mascara is hard. As someone who has always wanted the most luxurious lashes ever (see my most recent article about how to get luscious lashes), I definitely know the struggle. There are so many different formulas, looks that can be achieved, and preferences that people may have. Do you prefer more natural, or eye-popping? Are you more concerned with length or volume, or do you need the best of both worlds? There are so many mascaras on the market at various prices making their own promises, this one promising a deer look, this one promising a butterfly look, and another promising to never clump. Meanwhile, many of these companies exaggerate what the mascara is capable of in their marketing, both through descriptions and photos. So, who can you trust? I got you. Read on for my three favorite mascaras rated based on length, volume, definition, and curl.

1. 1. Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara

This mascara is my favorite one ever. It really does give a false lash effect, and for such a low price — $5. Yes, you heard me right. FIVE DOLLARS. I was so shocked when I was first introduced to this mascara because I didn’t believe it could be so good at such a low price point. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised. I’ve tried almost every cult-favorite mascara out there and this one is by far my favorite one. This is probably because the look I go for is the false lash effect, and this mascara really does achieve that. When I first put this mascara on, the first thing I noticed was immediate length. My rating:

Length: 5/5

Volume: 4/5

Definition: 5/5

Curl: 2/5

I would say that the only drawbacks of this mascara are that it doesn’t do a terrible amount for curl and so your lashes can fall a bit by the end of the day. You may also notice a teensy bit of smudge in the inner and outer corners of your eyes. However, if you ask me, these are worth the benefits. Using an eyelash curler beforehand can give a lasting curl, and a handy cotton swab is nothing that can’t fix a little bit of mascara run. There is also a waterproof version of this mascara, although I have not tried it.

2. 2. Benefit Roller Lash Curling & Lifting Mascara

This mascara is the best one I have found for an all-day curl. No matter how much I curl them, my eyelashes tend to go straight and more downward. Due to this, I find that a lot of mascaras can weigh my lashes down, making them fall even more. This mascara, however, will give you a lift that will last all day. It immediately separates, curls, and lifts; in my experience, this effect is here to stay.

Length: 4/5

Volume: 3/5

Definition: 5/5

Curl: 5/5

I would say that this mascara is best if you’re going for definition and curl — although it does give good length and volume, if those are the most important things for you then you might want to try the Essence mascara. My ~pro~ tip? First use a coat of the Essence mascara, and then this one on top to finish it on with definition and curl. Although this mascara is on the pricier side, Ulta often has a mini size of it and around the holidays you can usually find a bundle with a full size and a mini for a fraction of the price of a full size.

3. 3. Lancôme Définicils Lengthening and Defining Mascara

This mascara is amazing for lengthening and defining lashes, as promised. In terms of definition and separation, this is the best mascara I’ve found. It individually treats each lash, so if you’re going for a separated-lash look then this is the mascara for you.

Length: 5/5

Volume: 3/5

Definition: 5/5

Curl: 2/5

I will say that this mascara is not the best I have found in terms of volume and curl. However, since the formula is very thin, it can easily be applied as the first coat and then you can apply any other mascara of your choice on top and it won’t look clumpy. I really like to use a coat of this and a coat of the Benefit mascara, because both are great for different things. The combination? Amazing. This mascara is on the pricier side, but I would say it’s worth it for how unique the formula is and that it really can be used under any mascara to give more length and definition without clump.

If you want a going-out look, use all three mascaras — first the Lancôme, then the Essence, and then the Benefit; this ensures that you get the best of all worlds. You won’t be disappointed, I promise. Each mascara has a different formula and different benefits, so you can experiment with them. If you’re looking to save, I would go with the Essence and just make sure to curl your lashes beforehand. Happy shopping!