Meet the Team: Writer Jordan Panzier

School & Class: Barnard Class of 2022

Hometown: Rye Brook, NY

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Are you involved with anything on or off campus?

I am really interested in computer science and political science. Besides Her Campus, I am involved with some student government, writing, theater, and government clubs. For student government, I am on the SAAC and the Finance Committee. For writing, I am a contributor to the Federalist, and I am on the writers team for a sketch show called “The 1 Train is Delayed.” The first episode is actually coming out in January. For theater, I am a drummer and so far have done two shows. Lastly, I am a member of the International Socialist Organization, and I do some work for the ACLU too. I like to stay busy so doing a lot of clubs is a way to do that.

2. What do you think Her Campus Media stand for?

I think Her Campus provides a wonderful way for college students to publish work about the beliefs they have, or opinions they want to share.

3. Why did you choose Columbia or Barnard?

I chose Barnard because I wanted to be in a city school, and I realized the other options I had were too much like the school I left before my junior year of high school. I wanted a campus that is obviously socially conscious, near great food and comedy, and contains smaller communities.  

4. What inspires you to write?

I am inspired by how important journalists are in our society. I like how writing gives me the ability to spread information and content I believe in.

5. What are you passionate about?

Comedy and socialism.

6. What positive changes do you want to see in the college/university?

I think it is too easy for people to become isolated in college, I am not sure how, but I wish Barnard and Columbia did a better job at integrating new students into life here.

7. Who is your role model?

Tig Notaro and Fred Hampton.

8. If you could make you one change in the world, what would it be and why?

If I could make one change in the world it would be for all oppressed people to work together (instead of hating each other) against the ruling class, patriarchy, white supremacy, imperialism, etc. This is my wish because I truly believe if this happened the world could change for the better.

9. What are you most looking forward to during winter break?

Having my own space again.