Ellie Feeley: Columbia's Campus Expert

Name: Ellie Feeley

Year: Columbia College 2016

Major: Sustainable Development

Hometown: Greenwich, CT

Relationship Status: Single

Favorite past time?

Blowing up my family group chat, drinking any/all forms of coffee, and channeling my inner Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten). 

Favorite thing about Columbia?

That I got to live with my best friend for the past four years after being randomly paired together as roommates freshman year. Go Columbia housing. 

What are you involved with on campus?

I am the captain of the Columbia University Swim Team, a sorority member, and a college mentor with the Double Discovery Center. I am also involved with contributing dance moves on elevated surfaces at Tara Hill Tavern

What is the best way to recover after a night out?

If you hit up Koronets (and Tom's if you are really feeling it), you will be cured by morning.

How do you keep your energy up during the school year with swimming and studying?

Freshman year, I would need to take two-hour naps every day (between practices), but, as I got older and wiser, I chose to double my coffee intake and get all of my school work done between classes. So, now I get to bed at 10:00 every night and wake up around 5:30 or 6:00 am for a nice brisk walk to Dodge. People do call me a grandma, and I appreciate it.

What's the best advice you've ever received?

1. Keep your dreams big and your expectations low.

2. Be kind to everyone you meet because you never know what they are going through.

3. Do not wear headphones around campus.  You never know how a conversation can change your day. 

What have you learned from your past four years at Columbia?

I learned to not sweat the little things, to not take everything so seriously, and that hard work pays off. Also, to not regret any three hour Ferris breakfasts.

What will you miss most about Columbia or swimming?

I will miss all of the CU and swimming traditions as they've really defined my college experience.  I'll also miss the sense of accomplishment that comes with waking up, swimming eight miles, and eating breakfast while most of the campus is still sleeping. Finally (most importantly), I will miss my main man at Strokos (but I am planning on visiting ;)).

What should every freshman do this fall/winter to get the full Columbia/New York Experience?

Get the cider donuts from the farmers market and eat them on the steps with your crew! 

Lastly, what is your must have fall beauty product?

Dark nail polish!