Between the Sheets: In Defense of Girl Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As our lovely anonymous male contributor discussed last week, we women have a tendency to talk. A lot. Especially when it comes to the guys in our lives. Or the guys we want to have in our lives but secretly just admire from the back of our statistics class until we’ve memorized every hair on the back of their perfect heads. ANYWAY. We share these things with our girlfriends. And, yes, sometimes the sharing becomes excessive. But the reasons for this are twofold. 1) That’s how we sort through you confusing half of the population. And 2) Duh, it’s how we bond, like eating (You don’t want to see what goes down when we get back from a night out).

Let’s address part 1 first. Soooo there’s this guy. He’s great in bed. Kinda. Except this one teensy thing he keeps doing that is driving you out of your freaking mind. (Sidenote: Please never swirl your tongue around my ear like an oral wet willy.) So you get your girls together – and yes, sometimes there’s some wine involved because if you don’t like wine I can’t trust you with my sex secrets – and ask, hoping the answer is yes, if anyone has ever assaulted their ears in such a fashion. Odds are, some other poor guy will have made this mistake as well, unless it was something just beyond weird, in which case, sorry dude, maybe you’ll learn your lesson when this girl starts hiding under her desk at Butler every time you walk into the room. So you see, men of Columbia, these little sharing sessions are really for your benefit. Because I can’t tell you how many times the outcome of the discussion is “Yeah don’t worry, one time a guy told me to call him “Daddy” too. I wouldn’t worry about it.” And we usually don’t!

Now, part 2 should be pretty self-explanatory. While you dudes form unbreakable bonds by spending four silent hours playing Call of Duty, we spill everything and eat our weight in subpar homemade nachos. Excuse us for actually wanting to know what’s going on in our friends’ lives. Once I asked my boyfriend (gasp, yes, I have a boyfriend and we’re not, in fact, the stars of every one of my blog stories) how one of his friends and his girlfriend were, and my boyfriend went “How would I know that?” And I was just like “Um… Because he’s your best friend and you live with him?”

So, hey, we’re different, and obviously that’s great. But don’t hate on the girl talk even if you can’t understand it. It has its place in society, just like Call of Duty does (I mean, I guess). 

* image via collegetimes.com