This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Queer representation is important because being able to identify with well-known people creates a feeling of belonging and acknowledgement. So, with that being said, here are some of the best examples of queer couples in television that has aired in the past year (in no particular order).

Jane Ramos and Petra Solano from Jane the Virgin

They started dating after JR (not Jane because the main character is named Jane too, and it’s contentious) became Petra’s lawyer. Although their relationship started off rocky, since JR was actually being blackmailed into acting as Petra’s lawyer, soon their relationship blossomed. However, the season finale revealed something in Petra’s past that might dissuade JR from continuing to date her. We’ll see, since I’m sure the decision to keep them together or not is based upon Rosario Dawson’s (Jane Ramos) availability.

Sara Lance and Ava Sharpe from Legends of Tomorrow

Okay, so I don’t think that Caity Lotz (Sara Lance) and Jes Macallan (Ava Sharpe) actually have that much chemistry. But, their relationship is still great because Sara, who is bisexual, is often seen sleeping around, and it’s nice to see that she has had a steady relationship for almost a full season. Can’t wait to see what happens with them next.

Rosa Diaz and Alicia (the uber driver) from Brooklyn Nine Nine

Rosa and Alicia’s relationship was not on-screen, and it was super short. But seriously, Stephanie Beatriz (Rosa) and Gina Rodriguez (Alicia) dating each other on TV is amazing. Plus Terry Crews’ character, Terry, had some of the best learning ally interactions around the two of them.

Kat Edison and Adena El-Amin from The Bold Type

First off, it is amazing that Adena is a Muslim out-and-proud queer woman. Also, they super accurately depict what a relationship is like in the early stages, especially when one of the people is just coming to terms with their sexuality (Kat). Both of them are great representation, and their interactions are adorable and fun!

Elena Alvarez and Syd from One Day at a Time

Yes for that teenage queer representation! Not only is One Day at a Time amazing, but these two are great too. Also, Syd is non-binary, which is cool in itself but also incredible that we have trans representation on a TV show aimed at a younger audience.

Waverly Earp and Nicole Haught from Wynonna Earp

So, I don’t actually watch this show but Dominique Provost-Chalkley (Waverly) and Katherine Barrell (Nicole) are some of the greatest (so far) straight ally actors. They definitely know their stuff and, from some of the videos I’ve seen, their characters are cute together.

Anissa Pierce and Grace Choi from Black Lightning

Although (I’m pretty sure) they aren’t officially together, they are great representation for that couple that takes some time to get together. Plus, it is always amazing to have queer people of color be in the spotlight.

Toni Topaz and Cheryl Blossom from Riverdale

Okay so I’ll be the first to admit that Riverdale is absolutely insane, and I can’t stop laughing at it even when they are trying to be serious. But, one of the most recent episodes “Chapter Forty-Seven: Bizarrodale” was actually amazing because they relied on their queer characters for the first time ever. Toni and Cheryl definitely fit the “U-haul” stereotype, but they’re still fun to watch.

Even though queerbaiting is real, these three non-canon couples deserve honorable mentions.

Eleanor Shellstrop and Tahani Al-Jamil from The Good Place

Eleanor is kinda bi, but right now it seems like the type of thing where straight actors will say that the character doesn’t need to explicitly identify their sexuality. The problem with that is there isn’t enough representation so it’s super important to use the language, and, if they are straight, the writers and actors should not tease LGBTQ fans.

However, Eleanor admiring Tahani are the best jokes on The Good Place and Teleanor fan-drawings are entertaining to look at.

Zari Tomaz and Charlie from Legends of Tomorrow

Alright, alright, this just comes from that one scene, but they would still be awesome together, and there’s so much more time in this season for it to happen. Also Maisie Richardson-Sellers (Charlie) is queer, so I have hope.

Eve Polastri and Villanelle from Killing Eve

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

Eve and Villanelle are lying in bed during the last scene of the season finale for Killing Eve (the best new show on television) when they both lean in for a kiss, but instead Sandra Oh (Eve) stabs Jodie Comer (Villanelle). Still, I’m so excited for what’s going to happen in the season coming out soon.