absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Best Healthy Snacks for Dorm Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

Ever need a break from dining hall food? Not able to make lunch one day? Read about these 5 healthy snacks to gain inspiration and help satisfy mid-day cravings. 

Mikes Mighty Good Ramen 

Whenever my mom dragged me to the supermarket as a kid, I would always try to sneak Top Ramen into her grocery cart. I was in love with the warm salty snack despite my mom’s reluctance to let me indulge in the unhealthy processed soup. However, when I settled into my dorm room last January, my roommate introduced me to Mikes Mighty Good Ramen, an all-organic alternative to Cup of Noodles or Top Ramen. The chemical-free soup is the perfect snack for a winter day. And, as individual cups, they couldn’t be easier to make in a dorm!

Avocado on rice cakes

Growing up in Califonia, I struggled to transition to Maine. I constantly missed weekly trips to the farmers market, especially for avocado toast. While it may be difficult to make toast without a kitchen, rice cakes are a great alternative for avocado toast. It’s super easy to grab some avocados at a local Hannafords or even on a Walmart run. If you have time to make a trip to Portland, I highly recommend picking up everything but the bagel seasoning from Trader Joes for the most delicious touch to a healthy, filling snack.

Carrots, beet chips and hummus

Carrots and hummus is a classic snack that is often overlooked. With the vast variety of hummus offered in supermarkets today (avocado hummus, edamame hummus, garlic hummus, and more!) you can always spice up your options. My roommate’s and my new favorite food to dip in hummus is beet crackers. Beet crackers are great as the nutrition from veggies is hidden within the delicious salty cracker.

Broad beans 

Broad beans are a perfect snack because they are so high in protein. It is easy to indulge in delicious snacks such as chips or goldfish, however, they do not have enough protein to give us a sufficient amount of energy. Broad beans have the crunch and saltiness of chips but will tide you over for the afternoon!

Choomi Cookies and Hu Chocolate 

If you are like me, then you always crave something sweet after a meal. I recently discovered Choomi cookies and Hu chocolate, both of which are gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and don’t contain GMOs or white sugar! Currently, my favorite flavor of Choomi cookies is coconut macaron with chocolate chips and sunflower seeds. They have a perfect amount of sugar to tie over your sweet tooth without making you feel guilty. Hu chocolate also comes in a variety of flavors, my personal favorite being dark chocolate salty. 

On your next trip to Hannafords be sure to stop by the organic section and grab some of these healthy snacks!

I am from Palo Alto, California, am majoring in English and studio art