Matt Marroquin ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CNU chapter.

Name: Matt Marroquin

Major: Business, hopefully Marketing

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Ashburn, VA

Relationship Status: Single

What are you involved in on campus?

“Currently CNU Rugby, but I’m thinking about doing something with soccer or football. Maybe intramural or club; I’ve played soccer all my life and I love it.”

What are your plans after college?

“I’m not entirely sure… Get successful? I don’t have a dream job, I don’t know exactly what I want to do, but hopefully I’ll figure it out.”

Who is your celebrity crush?

“Boy or girl? Well, I’ve always loved Taylor Swift – I’ve loved her for years. I have posters of her in my room. Ooooooh, Anna Kendrick. Anna Kendrick is my girl. I’m pretty ecstatic about Pitch Perfect 2 coming out. ROBERT DOWNEY JR. IS MY BOY! We share the same birthday, and my dad got drunk with him at a bar when they were filming “Jonny Be Good,” and he’s a diva – like me.”

What is the most embarrassing encounter that you have ever had?

“Senior year, I ran into a pole after we beat our rival high school in football. It was in front of everyone, including my ex-girlfriend AND the entire cheerleading bus. I had to get five stitches in my head, and then by the time we got back to school on Monday, the rumors spread from I got pushed to I got jumped to I got mauled by a tiger. Yeah. Good rumors.”

Why did you transfer to CNU, and what is it like being a transfer?

“I transferred this semester from a private school in West Virginia called Alderson Broaddus University. I visited here my junior year in high school and I loved the campus – this was even before all the construction. I fell in love with it, but I got a football scholarship somewhere else, so I went with that instead. I did a year doing football at my old school, and then I found out my best friend – practically my brother [Connor Smith] – committed here. We started looking into how I could transfer here, if it would be possible. We tried to convince my parents. That was tough, they thought it was just for him. I convinced them it was more for education and all the health issues that I was going through.

“Since I’ve been here, I definitely think I made the right choice in transferring. I really feel like I’ve learned so much just in this last semester, which is great – I love learning new stuff. The big part that’s probably helped me transition so easily is having my suitemates – Chowder [Timothy Richard], Armen [Armen Beck], and Reece [Reece O’Donnell]. They’ve helped me meet new people and get involved on campus. They’ve done a really good job in that. And overall, just being nice.”

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you do today?

“I’d want to go skydiving, I’d want to go see Italy and Spain. Probably, most realistically, I would fly down to Texas to go see my family. I’d go see my grandma and have her make me some of her famous half-burnt quesadillas and tortillas. Probably go play a round of golf with my dad.”

Where are you most likely to be found on campus?

“My room… or Connor’s room. Probably playing GTA or watching Hockey. Sports in general, really. Also, you’ll see me on The Great Lawn playing soccer.”

What’s your favorite place in the world?

“That I’ve been to? I went to Hawaii my freshman year of high school and that was just absolutely beautiful. I’d definitely go there again. I’ve always wanted to go to Europe. Mainly Italy or Spain. I love Italy, and I mean, who doesn’t want to go there? But also because I’m Spanish, I’ve always had a drive to go to Spain.”

What does your dream date look like?

“I feel like I’ve got a couple; a few ideas that I would like to do. Sunset on the beach, maybe a picnic with music playing. Just simple, a nice restaurant, go to a movie, not really too picky on that. Even just Netflix and pizza is always good. Always a good time if you can’t get to the sunset. Can I be really corny and say ‘whatever makes her happy’?”

CNU '17, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Trebled Youth A Cappella, Taylor Swift and Mary-Kate Hovanic are my Spirit Animals, 'Merica