matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Chloe Kim Won Gold (And Twitter)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Chloe Kim may only be 17-years-old, but she has already won gold in the PyeongChang Winter Olympics.

Kim earned her medal in women’s snowboard halfpipe Tuesday morning, and she set the bar high on her very first run, scoring at 93.75. It gave her a huge lead over the rest of the competitors.

Image: @chloekimsnow

No one could match Kim, but that didn’t stop her in her final run. Kim attempted to land her most technical sequence of back-to-back 1080s, which tripped her up during her second run. But she accomplished it in her final run, ending with a final score of 98.25.

“I was like tearing up and wanted to cry, but I just knew I wasn’t going to be happy, even if I went home with the gold, if I knew I could do better,” Kim said. “So that third run was really just to prove myself that I deserved it and did everything I could. I’m so happy.”

And Kim definitely didn’t disappoint. Her win was the 99th gold medal of all-time for the US at the Winter Olympics.

Kim also took to Twitter to share her feelingsabout food.

Oh and I also had 2 churros today and they were pretty bomb so if you ever get nervous go eat a churro

— Chloe Kim (@chloekimsnow) February 11, 2018

Could be down for some ice cream rn

— Chloe Kim (@chloekimsnow) February 12, 2018

Wish I finished my breakfast sandwich but my stubborn self decided not to and now I’m getting hangry

— Chloe Kim (@chloekimsnow) February 13, 2018

While we may not have gold medals, we can for sure sympathize with Kim’s hangriness.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.