College is More Than Just Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clarion chapter.

Let’s be honest, the idea of getting involved in college may be a little intimidating at first. Putting yourself out there can be hard, especially if you are a more introverted individual. For some, going up to a new person and introducing themselves can lead to a lot of anxious feelings, and you’re supposed to go to an entire group of new people and do just that? Oh no. However, getting involved is what truly makes your experience worthwhile. College is more than just going to class. Ask yourself: What do you want to remember when you look back at your college experience in 10 years? You could just be picturing yourself on your couch every night binge watching Netflix. Or, you could see someone who became somebody that knew many different kinds of people, tried something new, and really worked to make their experience in school the best it could be.

Student organizations are also a great resume builder!  Your resume is going to need more than just a GPA on it. Being involved in organizations, especially taking leadership roles in them, can make you a much more appealing candidate to a company when you apply for a job. These groups can give you real world experience that will help you once you graduate.

Most schools give prospective students an opportunity to meet others currently enrolled at their University when they are touring or at orientation. Think about what stuck out to you when you heard from those students. The people that really enjoy their experience are these ones that got out there and did something. You may recall hearing from students about the 4 or 5 (or maybe even more) things they participate in within their University’s community, and how much they love them all. Now you don’t need to necessarily do that right off of the bat, you may want to start out with just one at first. But if you want to do even more, it definitely is feasible.

Time management is key. If you plan out your days, the classes you have, club meetings, etc., you can participate in several things on campus and still be a successful student. Keeping an agenda or calendar is especially helpful with this. College is a stepping stone towards being an independent adult, and properly managing your time is a great skill to learn while here.

Go out there and figure out what level of involvement is comfortable for you. Make new friends, find new interests, and learn skills that could be beneficial to you for the rest of your life. Your college experience is truly going to be what you make of it, so make it the best that it can be.