Why It’s Okay to Not Have it All Figured Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I can recall being a mere five years old and my mom asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I knew…….a cashier at Walmart. Now I did not quite have the world at my finger tips and I had a more than a few years to assume a career choice, but my mom graciously assisted me in embarking on my journey in becoming a cashier. She purchased a toy cash register and I was in press-random-buttons heaven. Years passed by like they always do and I had an epiphany. I was good at selling things. By things I mean literally anything. You wouldn’t dare pass the tenacious and fearless ten year old me without buying lemonade from my stand. And just like that, my goal of being a sales woman began. My mom allowed me to sell our old things in yard sale after yard sale. More years passed and I wanted to be a vet, magazine editor, prenatal nurse, a dental hygienist, a couch potato and more. 

As you presumed and expected from the explorative, determined and ambitious young girl that was the child, preteen and adolescent me, I grew into the ever-changing college student. I have changed my major four times. I find interest in a field, shadow it and drop it because it’s not for me. Each shadowing experience and major change, my friends and family supported me as if I were the pesky ten-year-old selling lemonade to the neighborhood stay-at-home mom. I am lucky. 

Once, I had an Uber driver tell me her story and dream of being an actress. She went to acting school and graduated. She entered the daunting and horrifying doom that is the real world. She hated the industry and wanted to go back to school for nursing. Her family told her she’s too old and insisted they saw it coming because she could never stick to one thing. I assured her nursing school is her right now and she needs to chase the opportunity without reluctance because it’s what she wants in her life right at this moment. 

We often discourage others out of doing what they want to do if it doesn’t fit society’s clock. Specifically in this case and for this article aimed at college students, when people want to change their major or go back to school, I remind you that it is hard to find support. We may not be the same person at 20 as we were when we were ten. And we won’t be the same person at 30 as we were at 20. It is SO important to support each other and your loved ones. Your best friend changed her major for the 7th time? Don’t say “Ugh, what to now?” Tell her you’re proud and hope this is a good fit for her. Do not give up on someone because they don’t have it all figured out in 4 short years. Keep faith in them and they will find their calling in life. I sincerely believe we are constantly changing and finding ourselves and our goals may change with us. The timing isn’t always relevant if you’re happy. 

If my mom hadn’t encouraged me and stuck by my dreams and aspirations since I was a spoiled rotten five-year-old princess, I would not be so sure and ecstatic about my future as a dentist. I’m aware this is what I want from dabbling in so many dreams of mine. She may not be buying me a Fischer Price cash register anymore, but I am certain she will be the first person by my side when I receive my dental kit and begin clinicals. And for that, I am unafraid of the future. It is not always about the money and society’s view. You’re not going to graduate in four years? That’s okay. You don’t have it all figured it out? That’s okay. Your dream isn’t what everyone wanted for you? That’s okay. Everyone’s number one goal should be being happy and finding what makes him or her happy in life. Instead of telling people they’re too old or it’s too late, encourage them to reach for the stars. Without a support system, we lose faith in ourselves and give up all together and settle (me settling= some type of cubicle hell, if I ever say I’m working in a cubicle, shake me). I know I’m gonna be the best dentist on this side of the Mason Dixon with the support of my mom, family and friends because l know I can do this and if it’s not what’s meant for me in my future, I wouldn’t mind trying painting. 

***Disclaimer: All the professions mentioned are great for the right person, and no offense to people who live the cubicle life.