This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Maybe you’ve seen the lettered shirts on numerous girls as you’ve hurried to and from classes on campus and thought, “which letters will I be wearing?” Maybe you’ve been waiting for the day where you’ll meet your Rho Gamma and other girls who are as excited as you are to go through recruitment. Or maybe you’ve scorned Greek life because all that comes to mind when you think of it are the girls in Sidney White or Legally Blonde or House Bunny. Whether you’re entirely against Greek Life right now though, or absolutely certain that college is equivalent to Greek Life, it’s true when they say there is a chapter for everyone.  

Some people scorn Greek Life, thinking that the majority of men and women are made up of people who are drinkers and care more about the next party they’ll go to than the grade they’ll get on the next test. Some people say that Greek Life is only for one type of person, and that the friends you make aren’t true friends, but ones you’ve bought with money. I’m here to prove you wrong, to show you that Greek Life is something that is for everyone, and hopefully convince you to at least try going through recruitment.  

So why should you go Greek? 

1. Sororities were created to bring change to the world.  

When schools were dominantly men, people believed that women had no right to get an education. The few women who were brave enough to break the norm and get an education were criticised on campus. Yet they kept fighting, and to break the idea that a women’s place should be in the home and stay in the home, they banded together in secret societies to study and ensure that they would earn the best grades in any class. The determination these women must have had is amazing, and it’s quite possible that society would have progressed much slower in allowing women education had there not been women striving to assert their positions in colleges.  

2. YOU can bring about change.  

This isn’t to say that one person can’t bring about change, but to say that with the backing of 100 plus sisters who support you and push you to be your best, change seems more possible and much easier than it did before. And when you accomplish something you’ve been striving for, your sisters will be the first ones to congratulate you and take you out to dinner to celebrate. You can even start to change the world with your sisters by raising money for respective philanthropies. Knowing that you’re helping people in their time of need and doing something for other people is one of the most rewarding experiences ever. It’s even better to know you’re doing it with your sisters, and you’re all striving to do something great together. 

3. Greek Life helps prepare you for the future.  

The commitment you have to your sorority prepares you for the relationships and experiences you’ll commit to in the future. Sometimes it may be hard to wake up at 9am on Sunday morning for a mandatory event or sit through a formal business meeting for 2 hours on Tuesday nights. But following through on these commitments teaches you how to balance and manage your time in the most convenient way.  

4. Leadership opportunities help you figure out what you’re passionate about. 

There are an insane amount of leadership opportunities in Greek Life, both in the chapter you decide to join and in the Panhellenic community as a whole. Whether your passion is design, photography, service, or more, you can the leader of a committee, or be on the executive committee.  

5. The word “friends” doesn’t describe the relationships you’ll have. 

Calling people who aren’t related to you “sisters” might seem odd at first, especially when your still building your relationships with the girls in your chapter, but before you know it, it will be the most accurate description you can think of. What other word is there to use for the women who will take you to the emergency room at a moments notice, help you get over a bad grade or bad breakup with ample amounts of ice cream and reruns of your favorite movies, and stay up until 2 am in the morning helping you organize your life when things get out of hand? Relationships like these can’t be bought. They are built, and the experiences you receive through being a part of a sorority gives you the opportunity to build relationships that are this strong.  

These are just a few reasons why you should go Greek among the endless list of reasons that I myself and others join greek life in college. Check it out for yourself and see if Greek life is right for you.

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will. 
Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.