bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why This Bread Lover Went Gluten-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I am gluten-free.

No, I do not have an Instagram dedicated to showing off my abs and healthy meals.

No, I do not spend $9.50 on a box of gluten-free cookies.

No, I do not secretly stuff my face with Little Debbies while no one is watching.

No, my diet does not consist of only carrots and boiled eggs.

I have never been one to diet or watch what I eat. For as long as I can remember, I have indulged in anything and everything at any time of the day. I mean let’s be real, we all say we will start watching what we eat as soon as we finish scarfing down our 3rd piece of pizza…for me, it would be the 4th.

THE BEGINNING

When the talk of 2019 resolutions was in the air, I sat down and made my list. The list included feats such as walking through a drive-thru, running a half marathon, and of course, going gluten-free. The main goal I wanted to accomplish was to simply be healthier and eliminate my migraines and occasional stomach pains.  I checked out “Gluten-Free For Dummies” from the library and bought as many fruits and vegetables as I could at Kroger because obviously, gluten-free eaters consume foods only rabbits eat, right? All I had to do was not eat any wheat, rye, barley, etc… how hard could that be?

THE TRANSITION

I had pinned at least 35 gluten-free recipes on Pinterest and read five chapters of the book, I was basically already a gluten-free master…NOT! For the first couple of days, my diet consisted only of scrambled eggs and salads WITHOUT croutons. I was skeptical to eat anything that could be even remotely linked to wheat and soy, but that sure didn’t stop the temptations. When I opened the pantry, it seemed like the Hawaiian rolls, Oreos, and everything I was restrained from eating had a spotlight on them, begging me to pick it up. It was challenging, but I kept up the fight.

THE REVELATION

As the days went by, I came to find that I could eat more than just the Kroger produce section. I was eating Cheeto Puffs, gluten-free spaghetti (10/10) and even chips and salsa. Contrary to what everyone had told me, going out to eat was a breeze. I scarfed down Texas Roadhouse sweet potatoes and even Chick-Fil-A fries. When faced with only having the option of a sandwich, I simply asked them to wrap it in lettuce and BOOM, still just as tasty. My body felt so refreshed and I had energy I didn’t even know what to do with. Every time I ate, I no longer felt a stomach ache coming on or the need to lay down, I was re-energized and ready to take on the day.

I am on my fifth week of this new lifestyle and it has been the best decision I have ever made for my health. If you want to test out this diet for yourself or want more information, check out these helpful websites below!

DELICIOUS gluten-free recipes: https://mygluten-freekitchen.com/10-most-popular-new-gluten-free-recipes-2017/

Hattie is the president of HC Cincinnati, as well as a campus correspondent. She is attends the University of Cincinnati where she is majoring in Public Relations with a dual minor in Fashion Studies and Marketing. She's originally from western Kentucky and loves adventures. When she is not found creative writing, you can find her at your local coffee shop or binge-watching Bob Ross. She loves her crazy, beautiful life.
Karina Baffa

Cincinnati '19

.