clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

UC Seniors’ Advice for the Best College Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Freshman year. It’s a year of many “firsts”. It’s the first time you’re living without your parents – forcing you to learn how to do your own laundry and cook for yourself (or at least make microwave Ramen and Easy Mac). It’s the first time you get to choose whether to attend your 8:00 a.m. or skip for the third time in a week. It’s the first time you don’t have to worry about your school’s stingy dress code. It’s the first time you’re living on top of all your fellow classmates and sharing your space with others. It’s the first time you have to figure out life by yourself. You may be anxious and scared of what’s in store for this year, but don’t worry, Sam Markle in Marketing, Dhruv Patel in Health Sciences, Francine Sullivan in Communications, and Calvin Ware in History, are four seniors who have reflected upon their past few years of college to provide you some pointers.

Sam Markle

On Getting Involved:  An experience in an organization is always, “You get out what you put in.” Sam lives by this phrase and holds an Executive Position in her sorority. She encourages students to, “Invest time and effort into an organization and you will have a greater experience.” It’s also extremely beneficial to have a leadership role in order to learn something that will impress a future employer.

On Dorm Life: Sam recommends finding one or two spots on campus to relax and unwind. It can get overwhelming going to class, living in the dorms, and constantly being surrounded by people. So take a break; mental health is important.

On Social Life: When going out, bring a friend. Sam says, “Go with a group, make sure you are going somewhere you are familiar with, and go in ahead of time knowing there will be people there that you know.” While the neighborhood is generally safe (thank you, UCPD and CPD), incidents do occur, so try not to walk the streets by yourself.

Dhruv Patel

On Academics: Figure out whether you’re an early bird or a night owl. And if possible, don’t take an 8:00 a.m. class if you’re a night owl. Schedule classes back to back, and avoid long breaks between them. Dhruv advises, “Do your best to not skip class. You’re paying to take these courses, so get your money’s worth by learning something from them.”

On Dorm Life: Communicate with your roommates. Dhruv Patel says, “You don’t have to be best friends with them in order to live together. Be aware of each other’s schedules and when you invite people over, tell them ahead of time.”

Francine Sullivan

On Academics: “If you’re going to skip, keep track of the amount of times you’ve missed. Most professors have an attendance policy in which you’re allowed to miss a certain number of classes before it affects your grade. If any reason your professor suggests you missed too many classes, you can pull out the exact dates that you missed. It also keeps you accountable,” Francine says.

On Getting Involved: Attend an organization’s information session. Francine says, “You never know if you want to join something unless you find out more about it. You could find something you really like. Or something you don’t really like. But attending these meetings will give you some sense about the organization.”

Calvin Ware

On Getting Involved: Calvin suggests finding two groups. He says, “Join one that’s relevant to your major, and one for any other interest.” It will look great on your resume, and your passion will show for the organizations when interviewers ask.

On Social Life: Be safe. Calvin  advises, “You need to know where you’re going and tell someone you’ll be there. Your RA is a great resource you can check in with so someone knows where you are.”

Advice from all: 

Academics: 

• Research classes before you take them. Check out the curriculum, attendance expectations, workload, and the professor in order to avoid surprises.
  • Pay attention. It may be boring now, but you’ll regret falling asleep when finals come around and you’re texting all your friends for lecture notes. It helps to sit in front because it forces you to be engaged.
  • Don’t be afraid to switch your major. It’s better for you to study something you’re passionate about and will want a career in.

Getting Involved:

• Visit organizations’ tables that are set up on campus and talk to members. Some have free stuff, and who doesn’t like that?
  • If granted the opportunity, study abroad. There is an endless amount of options and trips for every major. Traveling can teach you some things a class can’t.
  • Consider Greek life. Don’t worry; they’re not like how they’re depicted in movies. Sororities and Fraternities are supportive, and they’re philanthropic communities.

Dorm Life:

• Respect your roommate’s space. Clean up after yourself and ask before borrowing anything.
  • Leave your door open! An open door creates a welcoming environment and encourages friendships with other students. Invite them in to hang out.
  • Decorate your room. Brighten the dullness of the wooden furniture with Christmas lights and tapestries. Since you’re living in this space for a year, show off those HGTV skills and truly make it your home.
  • Common areas are the best. Most buildings have a quiet study floor where you can peacefully work on homework. Also, the lobby is a great social area where you can play table tennis or watch TV.
  • As long as you get to the showers early, wear your flip-flops, and bring your caddy, communal bathrooms aren’t entirely terrible. Just remember to throw your towel over the door so others know it’s occupied.
  • Use your meal swipes. There are plenty of options so you’ll find something that you will like (even if it’s just the cereal). Brownie points: be a great freshman and swipe in seniors too, ’cause we’re hungry.

Social Life: 

• If you’re busy, don’t go out anyway. Chad’s Luau party won’t be worth your English Composition grade.
  • However, if you have free time, go out and have fun. College is the time you can meet so many people from diverse backgrounds.
  • Even if you’re not a sports’ person, go to football and basketball games with your friends. Cheer on your school with hundreds of people and feel the roar of stadium.
  • Always underestimate how much you can drink. It’s better for you to leave a party sober and disappointed than to not remember leaving at all.
  • Never be afraid to get help when needed. Your friend’s life is more important than getting in trouble. The Police Department is extremely understanding and cares about your safety.

Take these seniors’ advice and you’ll have a great college experience. Freshman year is a year you’ll cherish forever. You’ll grow as an individual, become an excellent student, form life-changing friendships, and create memories that will last a lifetime. Before you know it, you’ll be a senior wishing you could go back. So make the best out of this year, study hard, and enjoy every new experience that comes your way!

Theresa Fox

Cincinnati