nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Survive the Holidays Being Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Your guide on how to survive the holidays being single, and why it may be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Here’s another year coming to an end. Of course, it’s hard not to notice what goes on at this time of year. All of the sudden, everyone is holding hands, all of your friends are busy with their significant other, and it’s impossible to scroll down your timeline without seeing #coupleselfies. You know what time of year I’m talking about; it’s the holiday time.

You’ve spent the year throwing all of your energy into your extra-curricular activities, maintaining your GPA, and working your part-time job – now November is quickly approaching, and you look up and everyone is in a relationship during the holidays, except for you.

Now, you’re wondering how you’re going to survive the holidays being single.

While it may be tempting to indulge in a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and Tuck Everlasting or The Notebook or whatever Nicholas Spark’s tear jerker is your favorite, being alone for the holidays is not a terrible curse, it is a blessing!

First and foremost, you are not alone. There are plenty of totally eligible bachelorettes out there who are in the same position as you. Society turns up the heat with the “single status” stigma. The pressure during the holidays to turn you into a “we” is unreal. Don’t fall for it. Think about things this way…

1. You’ll have less gifts to buy: This reason is pretty obvious. Now, you don’t have to stress about trying to find the ultimate romantic gift. This way you can focus on spending that extra money exactly how it was intended…on yourself. Merry Christmas!

2. You’ll actually have time to visit with your own family and friends: Has anyone in the history of anyone been excited to leave their own family to go hang out with somebody else’s? Ummm, I don’t think so. If you’re anything like me, you don’t get to see your family very often and especially extended family. Savor these moments while you can. When you bring your significant other to your family holiday gatherings, you almost have to act as their ambassador or watch dog. When you go solo, you actually are able be a part of your own family.

3. The best reason of all – There are as many single guys out there as there are single girls: Throw on the pumps and gather your girls to hit the bars and holiday parties. Its way more exciting to kiss someone new underneath the mistletoe than kissing someone who you kiss all throughout the year anyway. With all of the holiday cheer in the air and the glitzy lights, love is in the air and not just for the couples; it’s in the air for the single ladies too! Holiday gatherings are great for meeting new people, and this season is chock full of endless opportunities for finding someone new for the new year.

I don’t know about you, but nothing says holiday more than spending time with family that can’t just break up with you. Capitalize on the positive aspects of life that you’re going through rather than focusing on that one aspect. In plus we all know how this goes…after Jan. 2, all the couples who were so “in love” during holiday time, will all be broken up anyway and life will go back to normal. 

Britt Fillmore is a graduate of The Art Institute of Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio, with an Associate’s Degree in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing. She currently attends the University of Cincinnati working towards her Bachelor’s in Magazine Journalism with a minor in Fashion Design Studies from the school of Design, Art, Architecture and Planning. Britt Fillmore is from Dayton, Ohio, and has lived in Cincinnati for the past five years to pursue her dreams of becoming a wardrobe stylist. She one day hopes to work for a NYC magazine.