books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Study Tips to Ace Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Being a successful college student takes work. I’m a first year student myself, so this is my first semester of college. However, unlike many of my fellow freshman, I came to college knowing it would take initiative on my part to maintain the same grades I had in high school. And since I came armed with this knowledge, I decided to share my tips with all of you. Thankfully, we’re only in the sixth week of classes here at UC, so my hope is that these tips will help you save your grade and get that A!

1.Create a Study Schedule

Having a study schedule has honestly saved my butt so far this semester. I recommend using Excel and creating a spreadsheet. I block out my weekly schedule into half hour chunks and set it from 6 am (when I wake up) to 10 pm (bedtime). Then I fill in my classes. I also fill in my morning and night schedule, and since I commute, I also fill in the time spent driving. The idea is to figure out what times you know you are busy so that you can then figure out what times of the day you can spend studying.

I print out my spreadsheet every Monday morning and spend each day filling out when to study for each class. By being able to visually see how much time I have each day, my productivity has increased. Not only do I spend more time studying, I also have time to pursue my multiple interests without feeling overwhelmed. 

2. Find Your Perfect Work Space

For most people, this is the library. It has complete and total silence, access to computers and other resources, and plenty of desks. If that’s what you need in order to concentrate to the best of your ability, great. 

But if you’re like me, the library is too quiet. I found this out within the first week of school and have since switched to, in my opinion, a much better option. Coffee shops and cafes! Now I understand that if other people distract you, this won’t work for you; the library would be your best choice. But if you can block others out easily, coffee shops and cute little cafes are perfect. They have the perfect amount of quiet noise, allowing to do my thing without worrying that I’m disturbing others. Most have wifi, and if you need a break there’s nice bathrooms and plenty of people to people-watch. And the most important feature: FOOD. You have instant access to yummy treats because you’re right there! Plus, the artsy atmosphere of such places usually brings in a cool crowd, and who knows, you may meet an interesting new friend. 

Finally, maybe your dorm is your best place to work. Personally, I don’t recommend studying in your dorm because of all the distractions. But, if that’s what works for you, you do you, girl.

UC has multiple libraries on campus, the most popular being Langsam Library on the main campus. If you haven’t checked it out yet, I highly recommend. There’s a new Starbucks inside and I can’t resist those blueberry muffins.

Or you could go to the two separate Starbucks cafes on campus. There’s one right on MainStreet as well as another located near CCM. I prefer the one by CCM since fewer people tend to go there; you’re almost always guaranteed a seat and a shorter line to wait in. 

Or just venture off campus. From Rohs Street Cafe to Einstein Bros Bagels, there’s a ton of cool place to check out in the area!

3. Seek Out Study Buddies

This is especially useful during exam week. You know you’ve gotta study at least three hours for biology today, why not do it with your friends in the class? Grab your crew and hunker down in a group study room at Langsam. The private rooms allow you to discuss concepts at a comfortable volume, play quiet music, and consume the necessary sustenance (sugar and caffeine) to keep going. Plus, you can take breaks and goof off a bit. I did this once with my friends, and we got way more work done together than if we had been working individually. We also got to use it as a way to get to know each other better and have some fun while learning. Afterwards, we went out for dinner and relaxed. The experience was not only productive, but also strengthened my friendships with those people.

4. Take Breaks

I get it. Some days the outdoors seems to be calling. You tried working but in the past thirty minutes haven’t learned a thing. College can take a toll on your brain. So go ahead. Take a nap. Grab a snack. Go for a walk. Workout. I usually end up going for drive or wandering around or off campus. I love taking photos, so while walking I’ll stop and snap some pics for my Instagram.

Also take little breaks when you’re actually studying. I recommend the Pomodoro technique. Keep water and some snacks with you as well to help you power through.

5. Utilize SI Sessions and Office Hours

Maybe you have no idea what you’re doing in calculus. Or you can’t write an essay to save your life. Professors have office hours, which are perfect if you need some one-on-one instruction or have any questions to get cleared up. SI sessions are also available, especially for courses like biology and calculus. Check Blackboard and see what information your prof has provided regarding office hours or shoot him or her an email to schedule an appointment.

6. Get a Tutor

UC has plenty of resources for those of you who prefer having a peer assist you. Check on the UC website for access to various tutors through the university or find someone accredited online who has the qualifications to help you understand the material you’re struggling with.

7. Snack Smart

Instead of candy and salty chips, opt for popcorn and carrots. If you need sugar, try red grapes or strawberries. Like a more sour punch? Green grapes or blueberries. 

Also, try not to drink liquids with little benefit and tons of calories. Choose iced tea rather than a mocha frappuccino. Water is always the best option, but experiment and try new things like pressed juice or smoothies. 

8. Listen to Music

Music with words can actually distract your brain due to the lyrics. Instead, listen to instrumentals or songs with soothing music and quiet lyrics. There’s an acoustic instrumental playlist on Spotify I love listening to. I also enjoy popular song covers played on classical instruments, such as the covers performed by the cellist duo 2CELLOS. Other great bands include Sigur Ros and Bon Iver, check them out if you haven’t already.

9. Exercise

Working out is an excellent way to destress and it’s something I do everyday. Whether it’s dancing, running, or practicing basketball for an hour or two, exercise will boost your endorphin levels, the chemical that makes you feel good and happy. Regular exercise will release your body of the tension that it’s built up during the day, and will even improve your sleep.

10. Use the Internet

YouTube is, as I’m sure we can all agree, an amazing resource. It can teach you practically anything! There are various tutorial videos to help students with a variety of subjects, and they’re all just a click away. I highly recommend CrashCourse, a channel that has many different playlists teaching different subjects in visually-appealing and easy-to-understand ways. It has been a life-saver for me in understanding biology this semester.

And those are my tips! Feel free to comment any tips you may have below as well as share how the fall semester has been treating you. I know it’s been a bit overwhelming for me, but luckily I know how to handle it.

Rachel Darla

Cincinnati

1st year Creative Writing (Nonfiction) student who also happens to be premed. I'm a musician, photographer, and lover of fashion.
Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.