Skin Care & Self Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

One of the best ways to relax after a long day is by putting on a face mask and following through with a full skin care routine. There’s something about self-care that is so satisfying. Taking time out of your busy schedule to focus on yourself is extremely important. Skincare is just one way to engage in Self-Love, so I’m going to share with you some of my favorite skincare products.

1. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask

Every time I use this mask, my skin feels and looks so much better the next day. The mask pulls out the gunk hiding deep in your pores, and leaves your face feeling amazing. I couldn’t recommend this stuff enough. Another plus: it’s affordable! You can get a large tub of it on amazon for $10, and it lasts forever!

Find it here!

1. Rosehip Oil

This stuff has been a lifesaver for me the past couple of months. After doing some research I found out that it is especially good for healing acne scars and moisturizing your face and body. It can also be used in your hair! I found that using this has cleared up my acne and lightened some of my scars in the past couple of months I’ve been using it.

Find it here!

1. Apple Cider Vinegar

I’ve recently started using this to spot treat any zits I may have at night. The next morning, I find they are significantly flattened and much less noticeable. You can also mix equal parts water and vinegar to use it as a toner to help with oil control!

Find it here!

1. Coconut oil

I’m sure everyone knows that coconut oil has about a million different uses, but my favorite is to use it as an intense moisturizer at night.  I use it especially after the clay mask, which could be drying if you don’t moisturize afterward. It’s also a great way to remove your makeup before washing your face. That way you get a deeper clean and your skin feels so soft afterward!

Find it here! 

1. Aloe Vera

I recently started putting my Aloe Vera plant to use by using it on my face. I cut off a little piece, open it up, and smear the gel straight onto my skin. After about 15 minutes I rinse it off.  Aloe Vera is known to help with reducing inflammation of the skin, to help with acne, and to moisturize. You can also purchase bottles of the gel if you do not have the plant!

Find it here! 

We only get one face in this life so why not give it the love it needs? Take an hour out of your life to focus on loving yourself & your skin will thank you for it.

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.