Rachel Davidson & Brooke Duncan: Running for the Aruna Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.
Meet Rachel Davidson and Brooke Duncan, the co-liasions for the Aruna Project. Don’t know what the Aruna Project is, check out our interview with Brooke and Rachel and find out more about this inspiring movement to help restore the power of choice from who can’t speak for themselves. 

Name:
Brooke Duncan & Rachel Davidson

Age:
BD: 20 
RD: 21

Year:
BD: Junior 
RD: Junior

Involvement on campus:
BD: Student Government Senator At Large, Student Activities Board, Kappa Kappa Gamma, ROAR Campus Tour Guides, Changing Health Attitudes and Actions to Recreate Girls (CHAARG), Club Swimming, Cincinnati Women in Excellence & Spirit Together (CWEST), Sigma Phi Women’s Honorary 

RD: SACUB, Sisters Impacting Sisters (SIS), Student Alumni Council (SAC), Student Activities Board (SAB), & Habari Gani Ambassador (HGA)

Her Campus Cincinnati: What is your favorite memory so far about UC?

BD: This is a tough question because I am making unique memories each day at UC. One of my favorite memoires would have to be when I went to India my freshman year over spring break to document women’s lives who have gotten out of Human Trafficking, as well as working with NGO’s to help create sustainable business plans.  It shaped my entire college experience thus far and truly made me value my life. 

RD: My favorite memory at UC thus far is study abroad on service trips because I was at peace, helping others, and clarifying my purpose in life, which is to be a servant and help those around you fortunate and less fortunate.

HCUC: What is the Aruna Project?

BD: Though we can read about it in our history books, slavery is not an issue of the past. For millions across the world, it is a present day reality. Each of the millions has a face and a name, but not a choice. Think about the choices that you have made just in this day alone–when you awoke, where you chose to go, what you chose to do and with whom you chose to do it… the list goes on. Yet for many those choices do not exist. The Aruna Project was created to bring and sustain freedom, to restore the liberating power of choice. By hosting Aruna Runs across the US, we mobilize thousands to Run for Their Freedom. When someone participates in an Aruna Run, the participant receives a bag made by the very hands previous Runs have helped to set free. In choosing to participate, you are literally bringing and sustaining freedom to the enslaved. On April 18th starting at the Freedom Center you can Run for Their Freedom. Go to www.ArunaProject.com to sign up individually, or as a Team Captain and start your own team. All Participants will have free access to the Freedom Center. And all involved will have a hand in bringing and sustaining freedom to the enslaved. 

RD:The Aruna Project an idea which was created to bring and sustain freedom and restore the liberating power of choice from those whose voice has taken from them due to Human Trafficking. The term “Aruna” means bright morning sun, this is a metaphor for drawing of a new day for those set free because of this project. As a participant you are helping to bring sustainability and freedom to the enslaved because each participant receives a bag made by the very hands of previous runs that have helped set free the victims.

HCUC: How did you get involved with the Aruna Project?

BD: I got involved with the Aruna Project after I traveled to India my freshman year and participated in the Aruna 5K on campus. This past fall 2014 I reached out to the founder of the Aruna Project, Ryan Berg. He met with me and opened my eyes to how the Aruna Project can change the world. I am incredibly proud to be a liaison to UC with the Aruna 5K! 

RD: I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad through UC to India. During this study abroad I was able to document women’s lives who have gotten out of Human Trafficking, as well as working with NGO’s to help create sustainable business plans. Through the trip I was able to meet Brooke Duncan who was also inspired and heard of The Aruna Project, from that exact moment we decided to get involved and become co-liaisons to the university and become a part of this movement.

HCUC: Are there other ways that people can get involved with this Project besides participating in the run?

BD: YES! Students have the opportunity to work behind the scenes and help set up and support the runners on April 18th during the race. Directly email Mikey Conrad if you are interested in volunteering: mconrad@arunaproject.com

RD: They can work behind the scenes with set up and supporting the runners.“Simply do the following OR have them directly email Mikey: 1) Get the -full name -phone # -email address
2) email that information to Mikey Conrad at mconrad@arunaproject.com

HCUC: Human trafficking is one that affects millions of women and young girls. What is one thing that you would encourage guys to do to become more involved with this campaign?

BD:Great question… I often get asked how do you empower guys to stand up for this issue? It all starts with educating our peers about human trafficking today and bringing needed awareness to the US and all over the world. Tying in my personal travel and women I have met truly makes a difference when talking to others. I would like to think that no matter whom you are, you would support bringing a stop to human trafficking. I encourage guys to reach out, ask questions, and volunteer for the 5K – that is a great place to start! Surround yourself with others on April 18th for the 5K. 

RD: They could become advocates and make their voice heard when it comes to trafficking such as becoming members of groups on campus dedicated to raising awareness and helping stop this injustice, as well as standing up and letting other men know that this issue is serious and wrong. (And participate in the run of course!)

HCUC: Lastly, are there any last comments or advice that you want our readers to know?

BD: It’s crazy when an instance or experience can alter your life. When you grasp the authenticity that you are here on earth to breathe a life of service. The feeling when your heart is filled with joy to help others and make a transformation with constructive change. I relish running and encompassing a healthy lifestyle, but I love running even more when I am running with purpose. I’ve come to realize finding my life calling may not transpire in college, but as I run with the Lord I have found a passion, a burning desire, a call to charge, in running for their freedom. By their, I am referring to Sakina, Hasina, Asha, Shabana, Pooja, & Nasima. These women have stories, just like you and I. Creating sustainable change through sustainable employment creates freedom. I am sharing because I am calling my friends to find what makes you get out of bed in the morning, what makes you ‘do what you do’. Find Aruna in living – a Hindi word meaning bright morning sun.

RD: Millions have a face and name but not a choice, help those that cannot help themselves and become part of a movement to help stop human trafficking!!

For more information about the Aruna Project or if you want to get involved, visit arunaproject.com

Campus Correspondent and founder of Her Campus Cincinnati. Tyasia is a 5th year Spanish & Marketing student (sadly!). Lover of all things plaid! When she's not sipping on margaritas or eating mangos, she's jet setting around the world (All time favorite place: Guatemala!) Tyasia plans to make New York City her home sweet home after graduation to pursue a International or Fashion PR career! Keep up with her on Twitter @tyjenksss