Pick-Up Lines: The Quick Way to a Girl’s Heart (or Not!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Ahhh, pick-up lines: the old trick at the bar that many guys use in hopes of striking up a conversation with a cute girl he spots. Maybe it’s a way to break the ice or just to be funny. I personally have never used a cheesy “one-liner” to start talking to a girl (not because I’m afraid of the embarrassment by the way, I’d have no problem doing it), but I know some of my friends have given it a shot, to no avail.  Tinder has become famous for the use of pick-up lines. A friend of mine is one of the infamous pick-up liners on Tinder, in hopes that a match may be inclined to meet up for a cocktail or even sleep with him because of his wit and courage. But the question remains: what do girls think of pick-up lines?

Don’t get me wrong—I think pick-up lines are so funny. If I ever come across an even more outrageous one, I’ll send it to my friend to use. I mean, come on, what girl wouldn’t laugh when a guy says, “Did it hurt? …When you fell from heaven?”

Pick-up lines can be hilarious, but of course, inappropriate. Usually, the more inappropriate ones seem to be the funniest. As guys, we will use them because we want to seem outgoing and funny. What girl doesn’t like a guy with a sense of humor? Using a pick-up line can also show some creativity (some…not a lot).

I also believe guys are more likely to use a pick-up line or two at the bar after a couple of beers (AKA “liquid courage”) because we are less afraid of the rejection or embarrassment we may face. We don’t really think about getting a martini thrown in our face after four Budweisers and two shots of Fireball. Pick-up lines serve as an easier way to break the ice, rather than actually walking up and starting a conversation out of the blue. As much of an extrovert that I am, I can get nervous meeting new people, particularly girls I find to be attractive. Using a pick up-line can be an easier way to take the plunge.

Now, let’s be honest—the success rate of a pick-up lines is probably minimal. Why? Well, girls don’t typically find them as a genuine way of showing interest. Before writing this article, I posted a question on my Twitter asking ladies what they thought of pick-up lines. One response really caught my eye. A friend and former classmate, Allie, had this to say: “I hate them. Talk to me like a human and you’ll have more of a chance with me than a stupid pick-up line.” I’d guess that more girls feel this way. Girls want guys to be confident and straight forward. Using pick-up lines just makes us look bland and lazy. Like I said before, I think they can be very funny and a great way to break an awkward silence, but at the same time, if you truly want to get a girl to be interested in talking to you, you may want to steer clear of them. However, ladies, if a guy uses one, don’t take it as a sign that he is just trying to be goofy. He may really want to talk to you, but isn’t sure how. Every guy has been there, including me. We want to talk to certain girls, but don’t know how to take that initial first step without sounding nervous and boring. I know—girls love guys to keep things interesting!

I have advice to share for my fellow men, too. Steer clear of the one-liners. Sure, they are funny, and may even get a chuckle out of that special girl you want to get to know further. But in the long run, girls love confidence and honesty more. If you’re in a bar, classroom, or college party, relax—take a deep breath, and go up to that girl and tell her how you feel. You may not always get the response you want, but just taking that initiative will pay dividends in the future. But then again, who knows? She may be impressed and will indulge in a drink or two with you.

Then, if you still want to share those cheesy one-liners, do it once you have gotten to know her more.

What do you think of pick-up lines? Funny or downright disgusting? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Matthew is a student at the University of Cincinnati. He is pursuing a major in Communication with minors in Sports Management and Political Science. Writing is one of his favorite activities. Interpersonal Communication is one of his favorite topics which he will write about more. Currently single, Matt hopes to work in Sports Public Relations or Law. Twitter: @matthew_martinn