Personal Hygiene & Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I’ve never heard anyone complain about a male or female smelling good or simply havinggreat hygiene and chances are, the likeliness of you hearing or disagreeing with awesome hygiene is slim to none. Unfortunately though, smelling good isn’t the only case of hygiene we should be aware of. Hygiene isn’t something that someone does to intentionally please another person, it’s actually apart of taking care of yourself. Along with taking care of yourself, comes the behind the scenes sanitation that you may not focus on because it is not visible to yourself or others. With winter making its way into the picture, it’s definitely beneficial to be mindful of your sanitation habits because with winter, comes colds. With that being said, it’s in your best interest to take care of yourself in order to stay as healthy as possible.

The top pick, I’d say is definitely to keep your hands washed! There are so many germs circulating with no possible way to keep track of which germs are actually yours, not to say that your own germs are even good but that’s besides the point. Winter brings snotty noses, coughing and sneezing just to include the basics. Sorry to say, but there are countless people who experience these symptoms and use their hands to catch the germs. Although these are not visibly harmful, one touch of a door handle, transfered to your food may just take you out of the game. Be smarter than the germs.

Washing your hands is a common tip that everyone is well aware of, but something many of you may not do is take vitamins or remain eating healthy, even when taking a break from your summer body. With the sun being a direct source of vitamin D, the colder weather definitely prevents one from getting their regular dosage versus during the summer time. Remember to show your body love by atleast feeding it with the right nutrients to keep it fueled up.

Clean sheets, jackets and coats also are essential and play an important role because you never know what you are carrying around, but have you thought about the dust and dirt that your heater may have? Cleaning your heater can help avoiding the spread of allergens and the possible chance of indoor pollution. There may be a few other helpful tips for the winter, but these are great reminders to get the ball rolling just before it starts getting too cold out

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.