Living Solo and Why it Rocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I did it. I moved out of my parents’ house and I’m officially living on my own. Seriously, on my own. I live in an one bedroom apartment with only my fish to keep me company. When I told my friends that I would be living alone this year, they all forced a smile and said something along the lines of, “Wow! That’ll be…great!”. Even I have to admit, it sounds a little pathetic. But at the same time, I had lived with roommates for two years and hated it. It wasn’t who I was living with, it was just the fact that I had to share a space. I am a clean freak and was constantly panicking when the dishes sat in the sink for more than two hours. Last year, one of the girls I lived with even called me ‘mom’ when she found me cleaning the whole apartment at some absurd time of the night. It got a little nuts.

So in the end, I decided to try living on my own. So far, it’s turning out to be the best decision of my life. Let me tell you why living alone absolutely rocks.

1. Everything is clean.

Like I said, clean freak. Everything is where I want it to be and I only have myself to blame if the place gets messy. Also, I can vacuum at two in the morning if I want and I don’t wake anyone up. I can clean my own dishes daily and it doesn’t take hours (because I always ended up doing everyone else’s).2. Decoration

I spent HOURS on Pinterest for a couple weeks before I moved in figuring out how to decorate my apartment. It’s a little intimidating to know that you’ve got a complete blank space that you have to fill. Luckily, living alone gives you the freedom to decorate however you please. So naturally, I have my favorite sports teams’ flags hanging up and no one can judge my love for the Steelers (sorry not sorry). And also this sweet tapestry.3. No one to steal/break your stuff.

I have had my fair share of stuff broken in my two years of living with roommates. Nothing on purpose of course, but I guess that’s the nature of living with multiple people. Stuff will get left out, stepped on or dropped. I have also had plenty of things stolen by roommates who unfortunately did that on purpose. With living alone, that will never be an issue. Less money taken out of your pocket in the long run.4. Peace and quiet

The biggest concern for most people about living alone are the moments that you are completely alone. For me, it’s perfect. It’s not that I am anti-social or anything close to that, but it’s just the fact that I can come home and just be peacefully with myself for a while. It’s good to have time to yourself each day and it’s definitely strengthened my relationships with friends.5. Random dance parties

If I had to rank these items, this would be number one. Just having the freedom to crank up your favorite Spotify playlist while you’re getting ready for class at eight a.m. makes living alone worth it. I never have to worry about someone judging my lack of dancing skills or my interesting taste in music.Bottom line: I definitely would recommend living alone if you enjoy all of these perks. Who doesn’t want a 2 a.m dance party while no one is watching?

Julia Saxton

Cincinnati

Julia is a senior at the University of Cincinnati and studies communication, psychology, and sociology. She has a passion for writing and is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus Cincinnati chapter! Other than Her Campus, Julia is also inolved with the UC Career Development Center and works at a YMCA as a swim coach.