A Letter to Our Post-Graduate Selves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

College is a time of self-discovery and individual growth. It’s a time to make mistakes and then probably repeat them the following weekend. What many of us college-lifestyle-loving students don’t want to think about is our lives after graduation. Trying to determine what the future holds is intimidating and is a source of stress for a numerous amount of us graduating in the next year or two. Therefore, to ease some of the stressors, here is a letter to our post-graduate selves. 

It’s ok to still eat ramen noodles for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You are not expected to be making the big bucks right after graduation. Leading off of that, you can still gorge yourself on Rocky Road ice cream while watching reruns of Grey’s Anatomy. Hopefully you are past throwing up in fraternity houses; however, the bars downtown are just one Uber away. Never believe you are better than anyone and remind yourself that everyday is a new experience. It’s never too late to be kind to the co-worker that doesn’t like you, and you should always work  hard even when your boss is out of the office. People won’t always remember the good you do and it’s annoying if you remind them. Laughing at yourself is the best way to make friends. Take time to visit college friends but never forget to visit family. Your parent’s home is still your home, and you can go back whenever (especially if they’re cooking dinner). If you never found your soulmate in college don’t worry; the average age for women in America to get married is 27, according to a 2013 study. It’s ok to still act like a child with your friends on Saturdays and Sundays as long as you make it to work on time Monday morning. If you are coming from a science major, buy at least three business formal outfits; you never know when you will need one. Lastly, always love yourself through the mistakes: the bad work days, the break-ups, and the triumphs. You are the only person who spends 24 hours a day, seven days a week with yourself.

Make yourselves proud ladies!  

Thumbnail Image Source

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.