I Started Graying at Sixteen

I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was before first bell during my sophomore year of high school. I was surrounded by some of my classmates talking about what we did over winter break.

This girl (who, already, was not my favorite human being in the world) was standing right behind me and screeched “what’s wrong with your hair?” I immediately covered my scalp and told her I had no idea what she was talking about. Soon enough, all of the girls crowded over me and started picking at my hair because  the scalp line was a different color from the rest of my hair. I remember it hurting and they left me alone after they had picked at it.

I ran to the bathroom to look at my head and started crying because I already knew why my scalp was so different. During winter break, I had asked my mom about my scalp and she told me that I was graying. She started graying at the age of 24 and my dad started at 18. So, I had my lovely family genes to thank for this momentous point in my life. She said it was no big deal and that no one would probably notice.

I had waited  six months until I dyed my hair because I couldn’t take the teasing anymore.

Here I am, seven years later, with even more gray hair but I’ve become a lot more confident about my hair. Over the years, I’ve begun to realize that of all the things to worry about, I should be lucky I haven’t lost any hair. 

So, what if I don’t dye my hair every two months? So, what I have a gray spot peeking through once in a while? Who cares! At the end of the day my hair color doesn’t define me as a person. 

I have been beyond blessed with the important things: family, friends, an education, a home, an abundance of opportunities, and lots of color dry shampoo.

I don’t want this article to be a sob story. I have nothing to be upset about!

I want this story to inspire those who have outer appearances insecurities to remember what’s important. I FEEL YOU GIRL! 

Embrace yourself and your outer appearance because at the end of the day, you will find people who will accept you as you are.