kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Stay Healthy and Get Better This Cold and Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Cold and flu season is creeping up and most are willing to do anything they can to keep from getting sick. Between getting behind in classes and feeling just plain awful getting sick is kinda the worst.

1. Sleep: Before you roll your eyes and scroll past think about how much sleep you get. We all know most of us should be getting more sleep but when we don’t get enough it can set us back. When you’re sleeping your immune system releases cytokines which helps you fight infections. So, at the very least when you start feeling under the weather make sure you make sleep a priority instead of watching that “last” netflix episode.

2. Black and Green Tea: This is probably my favorite cold prevention strategy because I love tea. We all know that tea and honey can help sooth a sore throat but could it prevent you from having one in the first place? Maybe if you drink enough. Participants in a Harvard study drank 5 cups a day for 2 weeks. Afterwards, they were found to have more virus-fighting proteins (interferon) in their blood.

There are also antioxidants and even certain chemicals that kill viruses in tea. Not to mention you won’t have a caffeine crash like with coffee. Because of tea’s antioxidants which cause a “calm buzz” which will get you through classes until you can go home and rest up.

3. Apple Cider Vinegar: Not only does apple cider vinegar have the good kind of bacteria that helps your immune system it also has antibacterial properties. It will even aid lymphatic drainage and help those swollen lymph nodes. If you can get past the taste and down about 2 Tbsp of it it may just be worth it. If the taste is too much you can also dilute it with water and add honey. You should try and drink it with a straw so it doesn’t erode your teeth and brush after.

4. Hydration: It’s easy to just lay in bed and accept your fate when you’re getting sick but do yourself a favor and try to stay hydrated. You don’t need the effects of dehydration to make you feel even worse on top of your cold. Expending more fluids when you’re sick from fighting that virus and dry winter air mean that it’s even easier to get dehydrated than usual. Squeezing lemon or orange into your water will also give you vitamin C which helps your immune system without all the sugar of orange juice. Sticking to the old rule of 64 oz a day will be plenty of fluids to drive off any dehydration.

5. Vicks Vaporub: When I’m suffering from congestion, phlegm and swollen lymph nodes Vicks is my go to. I put it on my chest, under my nose, on my cheeks, and on my neck/lymph nodes. It may make your eyes water and make you smell like a giant mint but it’s always worth it when I’m actually able to breath when I wake up.

6. Anti inflammatory pills: Taking ibuprofen, acetaminophen, or other anti inflammatories can help get you through feeling under the weather or that first stage of your cold. Most people think of ibuprofens for pain relief but it actually can help your fever as well. Not to mention it can help with the achy feeling people often get when they have a virus.

7. Herbal teas: While I prefer black and green teas herbal ones can help as well. Lemon echinacea tea is known for helping with colds and although there is little evidence behind this there has been a study where it increased white blood cells. It won’t hurt to drink it so you might as well try.

Chamomile can help you get to sleep if you’ve been at home napping all day and you’re not tired enough for bed. Ginger tea can help circulation, open airways, and it has lots of vitamin C and amino acids.

8. Essential Oils: Essential oils are often used for aromatherapy or just making a space smell good. However, there are actually essential oils that help with congestion. Frankincense, oregano, tea tree, lavender, lemon/lemongrass, peppermint, cinnamon, sandalwood, basil, thyme, sage, ginger, rosemary, and pine essential oils are all helpful with colds. You can use the oils through bath blends, diffusers, hot/cold compresses, massage, and steam inhalation. For more information on how to use these methods and the benefits of each of these oils you can visit this website: https://www.up-nature.com/blogs/news/20-of-the-best-essential-oils-for-colds-and-relieving-the-flu My favorite oils to use when sick are eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender.

9. Hot Water: If you’re beyond congested and just want a few second of clear breaths try putting hot water in a bowl and putting your head above it with a towel on your head to trap the steam. This is similar to taking a hot shower and helps clear your sinuses a little bit. If your ears feel like they have a lot of pressure in them and you can hardly hear you can try something similar. Fill a cup about half way with hot water and put your ear on the cup for a couple seconds. After sitting up and swallowing a couple times your ears will probably feel a little better.

10. Elderberry extract: Every time I feel like I’m getting sick I take a spoonful of sambucol. The taste is a small price to pay when you feel better the next day. In one study people who took elderberry saw their cold/flu symptoms go four days earlier than those who had not taken it. There are also elderberry teas if you’d like something warm and soothing for your throat.

Karina Baffa

Cincinnati '19

.