This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

As the holidays approach, you may begin wondering what you can bring to a friend or family holiday get-together. The answer is simple, desserts! Desserts are a staple to any good holiday party. However, when you’re on a college budget with college-level baking skills, preparing for the holidays may be difficult. Below are four easy and simple holiday dessert recipes.

1. Peppermint Bark

Ingredients: 

• 12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, 

• 1 ½ teaspoons of peppermint extract

• 1 pound of white chocolate

• crushed candy canes

Directions: Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each break, until the chocolate is fully melted. Once melted and smooth, stir into the chocolate ¾ of a teaspoon of peppermint extract. Spread mixture evenly onto the 9×13 and firmly tap the dish to reduce air bubbles. Set in the fridge temporarily to firm. Then, melt the white chocolate the same way in the microwave and add the second ¾ of peppermint extract into the melted white chocolate. Then, spread the white chocolate over the dark chocolate on the pan. Immediately sprinkle crushed candy canes over the dish, pressing them gently into the chocolate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set, then cut the chocolate into pieces and serve!

2. Snowballs

Ingredients: 

• 2 sticks of softened butter

•  ¼ of a cup of granulated sugar

•  2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

•  2 cups all-purpose flour

•  ½ cups of ground pecans

•  ¼ teaspoon salt

•  2 cups of powdered sugar

Directions: First, cream the butter and sugar. Then, mix in all the pecans, vanilla, and salt, followed by the flour. Shape the mixture into balls onto a cookie sheet. Then, bake at 325 degrees for about 17 minutes. Then, remove the mixture from the oven and leave it to cool for 3 minutes. Finally, roll the balls in powdered sugar.

3. Thumbprint Cookies

Ingredients:

•  2 sticks of softened butter

•  ¾ of a cup of sugar

• 2 egg yolks, 2 ½ cups of flour

• ¼ teaspoon of almond extract

• a jar of raspberry jam

Directions: Cream the butter and sugar. Then, add to the mixture the egg yolks and almond extract. Then, add the flour. Once mixed, shape the dough into balls and put them onto a cookie sheet and press down on the center of the balls with your thumb. Then, fill the crevices with raspberry jam. Bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes or until the cookies are slightly brown on the bottom. When cooled, drizzle with icing

Thumbprint Cookie Icing: Mix 1 tablespoon of softened butter with a ¾ of a cup of sugar. Add water as needed to thin, then drizzle over the cookies.

4. Candy Cookies

Ingredients: 

• Refrigerated peanut butter or sugar cookie dough 

• miniature chocolate candies (such as mini peanut butter cups or Hershey kisses)

Directions: Slice the cookie dough into ½ inch slices. Then, lay the slices on the side and cut the pieces into quarters. Place each quarter into a greased miniature muffin tin. Bake the cookie dough in a 350 degree oven for about 6-8 minutes. Then, remove the cookies and, while still hot, lightly press a piece of candy into each cookie. Carefully remove the cookie with a spoon and cool.

Maggie Deller

Cincinnati '22

Maggie Deller is a third year Environmental Studies major with a Biology minor. She loves bird watching, being with her friends, and hanging with her pet ducks.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.