This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Name: Abigail Busch

Year: Junior

Major: Industrial Design

Fun Fact:  I own a harp!

Her Campus University of Cincinnati: Hi Abigail! Thanks for taking time to talk with me today. I would love to learn more about your experience as an Industrial Design major at DAAP. But first things first, what inspired you to choose Industrial Design?

Abigail Busch: Hello HC! I’m very excited to talk with you about ID and how I fell in love with it! In high school, I was very involved in the arts classes and programs at my school as well as working on projects on my free time. When the time came around where everyone started talking about your future and what you are going to do after high school, I was stuck. It seemed like the only paths offered were either math and sciences or English and business routes and, well, I did fine in my classes but I could never see myself going to school for something I wasn’t passionate for. Luckily one day while scrolling through my Instagram feed, I came across a student at a design college in California’s profile. She shared images of her work and the process she used to achieve the final project. I was amazed by the skill, craft, and overall design of the work she was doing. After intensely researching “what is industrial design” (the appearance and usefulness of manufactured goods), I was hooked.

HCUC: Are you originally from Cincinnati? Why did you choose to study in the DAAP program at the University of Cincinnati?

AB:  I am originally from Painesville, Ohio, a smallish town in between Cleveland and the Pennsylvania border. When I started looking at schools, being able to stay in state was something that was important to my parents. Fortunately, there are a few schools to choose from in Ohio that offer industrial design as a major. I was able to go on a college tour down through Ohio. We stopped at both a large state college and a small art and design campus on the way.  The University of Cincinnati DAAP was the last stop on the tour, and It instantly felt like home. What UC can offer is such a unique experience, you can be part of small communities with like-minded people, but also have the opportunity to expand from that and meet, learn, and experience new things. I have lived here since my freshman year and still love exploring what Cincinnati has to offer.

HCUC: What are your favorite courses you have taken so far in your program? Why are they your favorite?

AB:  So the way the ID curriculum is set up is, you are in a class of around 70 people, each in the same major. Each semester everyone takes three studio classes, two classes relating to industrial design, and then one or two gen ed classes. Because class sizes are small, everyone takes the same classes together. All 70 students are broken into four sections for studio classes.  These are my favorite because for three or more hours a day this time allows you to focus on your work and get feedback from the professors and your peers. Even though each class is 3 hours long, you end up spending the majority of your time working within the space. To say the least everyone is very close with each other.

HCUC: Do you participate in the Co-op program? If so, what internships have you experienced so far?

AB: This is currently my first semester on co-op! While my other peers have already experienced one, I opted to stay at UC and take various classes outside of DAAP for a semester. Currently I am working at Signature Hardware, a retailer of imported kitchen and bath fixtures, plumbing supplies, hardware and home décor.

HCUC: What are your duties as an Industrial Design Co-op at Signature Hardware?

AB: This is not your traditional ID Co-op. Working at Signature Hardware I am exposed to the new exciting world of ecommerce. I assist the other designers with graphic design work and execution.

HCUC: What is your typical day like at Signature Hardware? Was it what you imagined it would be?

AB: Each day has something else to offer! I’m constantly busy with putting together newsletters, curating and designing instagram posts, drawing up installation instructions, and attending meetings with other divisions within the company. This is a great opportunity to get me out of my comfort zone and allow me to be able to put everything I have learned in design school thus far to work while still being able to grow as a designer and a professional.

HCUC: When you aren’t taking classes or working on Co-op, what do you like to do in your free time?

AB: On my free time I like to keep myself busy. Whether that means getting crafty, working on projects, napping outside, or throwing dinner parties with friends I’m always doing something! It’s important to find time for yourself and take time away from the screen.

HCUC: Do you have any advice for incoming freshman that want to study Industrial Design?

AB: Even if you aren’t planning on studying Industrial Design, college is the best time to discover yourself and your interests. This might sound cheesy but you really get out of it what you put into it. One of my professors once said, “The worst outcome you can imagine is still not the worst outcome. There are opportunities behind every door, even if you don’t think there are.” There will be times when things are not going the way you planned, it might seem like the end of the world but it really isn’t! This time in your life is really for you, be confident, find a balance between your needs and the needs of others. DON’T pull all nighters, they may seem like a good idea at the time, but the work you will get done isn’t worth missing out on those few hours of sleep. And lastly, have fun with it! Time will fly by and you will still remember the time you and your freshman year roommate sang “Making Breakfast” by Twin Peaks at the top of your lungs in your dorm.

Caroline Currie

Cincinnati '19

Caroline Currie is a fourth-year student at the University of Cincinnati working towards a Liberal Arts degree in Anthropology, Electronic Media, and Professional Writing. When she’s not watching hours of cuddly cow videos, she’s eating pints of vegan ice cream and reading piles of nonfiction psychology books. She has a passion for uplifting and empowering women on campus by sharing their stories for others to learn from or be inspired by! 
Ricole Davis

Cincinnati

Born and raised in the wonderful state of Ohio. When I grow up, if I ever do, I want to be a doctor. Fourth year at the University of Cincinnati. In my spare time, I like to collect vinyls, write and play with my favorite boy, my bunny Phoenix. I love everything about the outdoors except for the bugs. Just trying to get through the day without making a complete fool of myself...