This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

The media’s obsession and constant vilification of Meghan Markle is hugely problematic.

In case you’ve been living under a rock, Meghan and Prince Harry decided to step back from their senior roles in the Royal Family and move to Canada to raise their son, away from the constant scrutiny of the British press. 

And what was the response to this? Well, right-wing Britain went into MELTDOWN. 

As a Brit myself, I have seen negative articles about Meghan Markle since the day their engagement was announced. The British press’ scrutiny of her has been rooted in sexism and racism, but this is not just a British problem. Media across the world has torn Meghan down because she is what right-wing media fear the most: an independent career woman, who is unapologetic about her values. This isn’t just unsuitable for the archaic Royals; the media have suggested it’s unsuitable for any woman in a prominent public role. 

We can all learn something from Meghan. She’s a degree holder, an actress, an activist and then she married a prince and the public felt that they owned her. Did she bow down and accept her new role, one where she couldn’t express her views, or dress however the hell she wanted? No. 

Instead of enduring vicious bullying for her every action, Meghan did what was best for her and her child, which meant putting herself first and leaving. Why would you work hard all your life and become a successful woman, just to accept a torrent of bad press saying you’re not good enough? 

Meghan has taught us that it’s good to own your intelligence and independence and that it’s right to stand up to your bullies. 

And I guess she’s also taught us that you should stay with who you love, even if their family is a royal nightmare…

Katie Chattell

Cincinnati '21

Katie is a third year at The University of Cincinnati and is a writer for Her Campus.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.