8 Ways on How to Really Lose a Guy in 10 Days or less…

Ladies, we all make mistakes. Take it from us, these top eight typical mess ups are the real ways to end a potentially promising relationship before it actually gets started. If you’re reading this article and find yourself a little too familiar with some of the mistakes mentioned, it’s okay. Just breathe. We’ll work through it together. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is not just a dreamy Matthew Mcconaughey romantic comedy to watch on girls’ night. There is some truth to that movie – except you and the prospective new gentleman probably won’t be falling in love by the end of it all because he suddenly realizes he can’t live without your crazy quirkiness. In reality, the two of you will most likely end up going your separate ways, only bumping into each other on occasion and leaving you wondering, “What did I do wrong”?Well no more wondering, we’re here to tell you.

1. Don’t talk about your ex any more than you have to – even if that means, never: If the guy you’re dating asks you to talk about your last relationship, of course don’t be rude but keep it brief. This topic is very important, but don’t string it along by taking your new guy down memory lane about your ex. Do not under any circumstance bring up your ex first. The only pass you have to talk about your past relationship is if he asks you about it. Otherwise, I can’t think of any reason why you would want to talk about how you and your ex visited Paris together last summer through study abroad. Don’t talk about why he ended up breaking your heart. Do not show him that you still wear the sterling silver bracelet your ex got you for your 8 month anniversary...unless your new beau is curious and he asks first, just keep it to yourself. Keep any topic about your ex short, specific, and to the point. Too long of a conversation about your ex will shoot up red flags right away. And if he spends 20 minutes talking about his ex on the first date…RUN! 

2. Don’t get too emotional, too soon: Sure, guys know you’re going to be the more emotional one, and that’s great. Open up who you really are to him! (But with a little discretion.) Guys don’t want to hear you cry about your puppy that died in the fourth grade when you guys have your first at home date. Most guys don’t know how to process emotions the way we do, it’s not their fault. Men are genetically programmed to be the strong bread winners of the world and unfortunately, that does not include wearing their heart on their sleeves like us women do. When guys see too much emotion, too soon, they relate that to you having emotional baggage, being emotionally unstable and dare I say it…crazy. So instead just release little doses of good emotions like appreciation, attention, and affection little by little and save all the heavy stuff for when something serious actually goes down.

3. Don’t think he’s yours, before he’s really yours: Its easy to just assume that every guy ever, only has eyes for you. Let’s be honest, that may not be the case, unless you all have discussed so. But if you haven’t, it’s not the end of the world, because you’re not completely his either. In this stage, still feel free to date around and keep your options open. Don’t make out with every guy you meet, but no one is exclusive to each other until you’ve had that conversation. And if you’ve tried to have that conversation and he runs shy of it, then let him run and don’t chase after him.

4. If he does make a mistake, don’t bad mouth him to everybody you see: Not only does it make you look catty, but he will hear about you talking about him somehow. Don’t let 46,000 students at UC fool you, it’s smaller than you think. If he says he’s going to call and he doesn’t, please don’t tell everyone about it. If he takes 30 minutes to text you back and you have to double text him to get his attention, don’t make an announcement about it. Unless, something happens that is actually news worthy, people don’t want to hear you complain about nonsense. Even then, try to only tell your closest girlfriends. When he hears about you “throwing shade” on his name, that’s going to completely throw him off from you.

5. If you forgave him for a mistake, do not stay angry:  This one’s pretty simple. Let’s just say he did do something that he upset you. If you’re going to hold it over his head forever, you might as well just stop talking to him. When they say guys want a girl that reminds them of their mother, they don’t mean the nagging, bossy and over protective part of their mother. Every time he wants to chill with the guys he doesn’t need a reminder of something he did wrong when you guys first started dating. You chose to forgive him, so deal with it.

6. Still make time for yourself:  You know what this is for, right? To avoid being clingy! Guys hate that. It’s by far the quickest way to make a guy jet in the opposite direction. Make time to still do what you love to do. Still hang out with your friends, still enjoy your Sunday afternoon manicure, don’t spend every minute of free time you have with this new person. If things don’t work out, you won’t feel shocked or overwhelmed with nothing to do.

7. Don’t you know what right away:  Do I really need to explain this one? It’s not cliché to make him wait. If they’re genuinely into you, then they’ll wait. Granted, they may get a little antsy after a while but they know you’re worth. When you believe you’re worth it, they’ll believe it too. Just take some time to get to know each other and go out on a few dates before taking it there.

8. Not keeping a positive attitude:  When you go into anything new thinking, “this is not going to work out” or “I have a bad feeling about this”, then that is exactly what’s going to happen. We live in a parallel universe. What that means is our thoughts and our beliefs eventually come into existence. It’s simple, if you think negative thoughts about a situation, negative things are probably going to happen. Not to mention, you’ll just stress yourself out by thinking of all the bad things that could happen, but may not. Think positive and stay hopeful, ladies.

If you avoid doing all these things, and it still doesn’t work out, then you can say with confidence, “He’s a jerk!” Then I give you my permission to bad mouth him all you want, and warn your girlfriends to stay clear of his utter jerkiness.  Don’t worry guys, we’re on your side. As a woman, we recognize we can have some crazy tendencies, but they are not done intentionally. Sometimes we are unaware of what we’re doing when we do it. Women love to be themselves, one hundred percent of the time, without holding back. But sometimes there’s nothing wrong with staying reserved when you’re spending time with your new, romantic interest within the first dating. 

About the Author