8 Things I Didn’t Think I Would Need in College…. but Did

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

This one is for all of you that have stumbled upon Her Campus University of Cincinnati’s page in preparation for the next four (or five!) years of your life. Here’s a list of things I realized I needed in college, but totally didn’t think I would.

1. Scissors

On the first day of unpacking I realized that in order to even open something I needed scissors. Oops. Let’s just say that a little while later I got scissors and could resume unpacking.

1. Melatonin

Sleep is so important in life, but in college especially. I am (to a degree) healthy and definitely care about what I put in my body. I decided to rid myself of sleepless nights by making the investment in melatonin. This was as opposed to Zzzquil, as zzzquil has many chemicals and I would rather just supplement with the natural and active ingredient. It was a great investment, and isn’t addictive (if taken properly), and helps me out the night before stressful events.

1. A QUALITY Coffee Cup

You’ve likely learned how GREAT coffee is, and I have a little tip for you. I didn’t get a Keurig before college, I just got a drip-pot (Black & Decker, $18) with a timer. So, I decided after the first semester that I was drinking tons of coffee, because I needed it to get through my day. I now carry a travel mug in my hands to class and I pack a second in my bag. Since I don’t touch that one until a few hours later, I knew I needed a good thermos – and I got one. Oddly enough, I found it at Kroger for $12, and I couldn’t be more thankful. I pour coffee in there at 8:30 AM and at 6:30 PM it’s still blazing hot – I even burn my tongue. Mine is by the brand “reduce” and it works SO well.

1. Solid Water Bottle

In addition to having lots of coffee, it is also good to have plenty of water on hand to stay hydrated throughout your busy days. Mine is by the brand OGGI and any ice in there does not melt for DAYS. Seriously. 10/10.

1. Spare Shampoo & Conditioner

The day will come when you run out of shampoo and conditioner. On that day, you’ll be in a rush in the morning, it will be raining outside, and you won’t have washed your hair in a loooong time (too long to admit). It is in this moment that you will wish you had a spare. Prepare for this moment. Be a girl scout.

1. Rain Gear

Welcome to Cincinnati. It likes to rain here. One of the biggest things that I was totally not prepared for was walking to class in the rain. While I still dread it, it is less not as awful if I am in the rain with decent rain gear. Good boots, a jacket, an umbrella, etc. Definitely worth investing in.

1. Shoes…. of every variety

While speaking of the weather, this is Ohio. It will be 70 degrees one day, and 35 the next with snow. You’ll want tons of shoes on hand. If this gives you any idea, I wore flip flops one day, and boots the next. I needed to have both here at school to wear them. This was not something I was considering, but am glad I had.

1. A Planner

College is so different than any other schooling, and I wouldn’t be able to get through it without my trusty old planner. I am also extremely forgetful and would forget what I needed to do that night if I didn’t have my planner around. Mine was $18 from Barnes and Noble, and it is one of my favorite investments of all time.

Lauren Styczynski

Cincinnati '20

Lauren is a third year at UC, from the Cincinnati area. She loves to laugh, and is pursuing a career as a scientist.
Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.