7 Easy Ways to Add Some Holiday Spirit to Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

One of the best parts of the end of the semester is not only that we have a month off from classes, but that the holiday season has arrived, bringing endless amounts of hot chocolate, holiday carols, and garland your way. While your dorm, apartment, or house may not have enough room for a Christmas tree, these easy and inexpensive DIYs will turn any place into a winter wonderland that will wow everyone who visits.

Alternative Christmas Trees

If you don’t have enough space to set up a Christmas Tree or Menorah on a table or the floor, these options offer some space saving alternatives. Washi tape is an easy and inexpensive option that allows you to customize your tree or menorah to match your room. But wash tape isn’t your thing, and you have a lot of post-it notes on hand, use the sticky notes to create a Christmas tree that’s just as easy to remove, and also allows a lot of customization. However, if you want something that’s more dimensional and is dressier, you can make a hanging Christmas tree out of fishing line or jewelry string, plastic ornaments, a steamer rack, and a command strip.Free Holiday Images

There are so many printable wall art options online, that you can instantly add some holiday cheer by printing out some images. After that, you can pin them to your bulletin board, tape them up with some washi tape, or put them in some $1 frames from the dollar tree for some instantaneous holiday spirit.Star Ornaments

Start collecting those toilet paper rolls! In a few simple steps, you can turn them into glittery star ornaments that will brighten up any corner of your house. Hang them off a tree, or in front of a window to get the most holiday spirit.Paper Snowflakes

Bring out the kid inside you by cutting paper snowflakes and hanging them around your place. If you want to make your snowflakes college-level, amp them up by making them three-dimensional. Although they look like a time commitment, they’re very easy to do!

Jingle Bell Christmas Trees

With some Styrofoam cones, bells, and hot glue, these jingle bell Christmas trees will add some sparkle to your dorm. These would be an easy craft to make while binge-watching all your favorite holiday shows on Netflix. Colorful Cone Trees

If you’re trying to step away from green and red, check out these brightly colored holiday trees that have a splash of gold and only require paper mache cones, paint, and a gold paint pen. These would look perfect on a mantle, side table, or windowsill. Knitted Holiday Sayings

Finger and arm knitting is a trend that has been popping up all over Pinterest in the past few years. It’s quick and simple to do, and doesn’t require much thought or effort once you figure out how to do it. In a few minutes, you could knit a whole “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Hanukkah” in an hour or two! 

Here are some bonus wallpapers to get you in the holiday spirit! 

Thumbnail Image Source

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.