5 Skincare Myths You Need to Stop Falling For

1. Products have the ability to shrink your pores.

Advertisers love to say that their products will leave you with smaller, practically nonexistent pores. Sadly, the size of our pores is 100 percent based on genetics. The good news is that it is possible to temporarily shrink the appearance of them. Use a primer as a base before applying makeup and for your makeup-free days, stick to a skincare routine with products labeled “non-comedogenic” (meaning they don’t clog your pores).

2. Conditioner can get rid of split ends.

Once the ends of your hair are split, they’re split. Instead of looking for products to magically bond your ends back together, take these preventative measures:

1. Start fresh and get your hair trimmed regularly. If that’s not in your budget, do it yourself!

2. Always use a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush when your hair is wet. Brushes tend to be way too harsh, especially when our hair is wet and in its brittlest state.

3. Take time to pamper your hair. Monthly hair masks can work wonders and don’t have to be expensive. Here are some DIY ones I love:

• Coconut oil! Warm up some cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil in your hands and spread it throughout your entire head. Leave on for 20-30 minutes and rinse it out in the shower with a clarifying shampoo. If you don’t have a clarifying shampoo at your fingertips, rinsing and repeating two times should do the trick.

• Once every couple weeks, switch out your conditioner for apple cider vinegar. Pour it into your hair after shampooing and then rinse well with water. (Side note: I promise the smell goes away).

3. Rubbing alcohol cures breakouts.

Anything that can literally kill germs in a matter of seconds does not belong on skin. Our skin is delicate and should be treated as so. When applied to your skin, rubbing alcohol kills the skin cells that line our pores and, in turn, causes them to become clogged with dead skin. If you need a deep clean, incorporate a good exfoliant into your routine once a week. Depending on your skin’s specific needs, this could be anything from applying your nightly cleanser with some sort of cleansing brush or even using a charcoal mask.

4. Avoid moisturizer if you have oily skin.

Do NOT be afraid of moisturizers and oils if you have oily skin. After we cleanse, depending on the products we use, our skin is left completely stripped of its natural oils. In response, it begins to produce sebum (oil) in an attempt to compensate for the lost moisture. If you have oily skin, never skip the moisturizing step, but rather find a lighter moisturizer to balance the sebum production.

5. Hot water opens your pores and cold water closes them.

Contrary to popular belief, our pores never actually open or close. Yes, the steam from hot water can loosen up all the gunk that’s clogged within them, but they are in no way temperature sensitive.

Doing your research and debunking skin-care myths is a great step to a more efficient routine. Stop trusting advertisers! Pay attention to what you put on your skin! Read your favorite products ingredients! And, for god’s sake, wear sunscreen!

Sources: 

Real Simple

Today

Facing Acne

Thumbnail Image Source