4 Tips for Dealing with Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It’s like when people ask you what your favorite TV show is and then you suddenly forget every TV show ever in existence. When you sit down to write (or at least in my case), it can feel very overwhelming. The cursor blinking at you from the top of a blank page, the thoughts whirling around in your head with no way to figure out. 

Even if you write for fun, like a book or articles like this one, it can be challenging. Sometimes, you don’t know what you want to write about or the way to make your next scene work. It can turn the excitement of writing into a daunting task with no foreseeable end.

Here are four tips to help you figure that out.

1.) Just write.

This may seem kind of obvious! But sometimes all you need to  do is put your thoughts on paper (or screen). Seeing them on the page and reading them back to yourself really helps you think of the next place to start.

2.) Talk it out with someone.

Voicing your thoughts can often help. Start by saying you don’t know what to write; maybe the person you’re talking to will say the perfect anecdote for your essay or novel. Also reading your writing out loud to someone is a great way to help you catch any mistakes you may have.

3.) Handwrite it.

If you normally type out your essay/novel, switching to handwriting your thoughts is a good way to change things up. That way, you don’t have the cursor blinking back at you from the blank page.

4.) Step away from it.

This isn’t ideal if you have an essay due at 11:59 and it’s currently 10:30, but taking time away from whatever it is that you have to write tends to always help me think of new ideas. Even if it’s just ten minutes, use that time to watch a funny video or something. Do other homework, get a snack and come back to it with a fresh mindset.

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself while writing! The best words will always be the ones that flow from you naturally. Now get back to writing!

Hailey Semchee

Cincinnati '22

Hailey Semchee is a third-year English/Rhetoric and Professional Writing major at the University of Cincinnati. She loves being creative in any way possible as well as traveling, watching movies, or drinking a lot of tea. You can follow her on instagram @haileysemchee.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.