Why I Completely Changed Who I Was in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

If you’ve ever seen any movie where high school is the setting, then you have a pretty clear definition of a marching band kid. Nerdy, awkward, a little intimidating, but not because they’re scary looking, but because “This one time at band camp,” is all that comes out of their mouth. Yeah, that was me.

When I started looking at colleges, my parents asked the typical, “So, are you continuing with marching band in college?” I would laugh, shake my head, and keep searching. One of the many reasons I chose Chatham University was because they did not have any form of band for me to be involved with. This was my time to reinvent myself.

It wasn’t that people hated me in high school, people just look at you differently as a band kid. “Band kids” at my school had their own hallway, their own vending machines, their own form of life. If we won our competition the Saturday before, we had “medal Monday” to celebrate. As fine and dandy as these things all were, we were labeled as ignorant, selfish, and just plain weird. Yes, we were pretty stereotypical, we only talked about band, and only to people in band. But that’s probably because we only knew of marching band. I was there 6 out of 7 days, sometimes spending 12+ hours a day at that high school. I had “popular,” cheerleader friends who were upset anytime they asked to hang out and I had to respond, “Sorry, I have band…” Band consumed my life, and also most of my friendships. Guys wouldn’t even think of talking to me… because I was in band. Shallow, I know, but that’s the kind of torture you receive when all your English essays begin with “this one time at band”.

Fast forwarding to my first month of college: I’ve attempted to hide my marching band past. But due to our changing world full of social media, my friends did find out that I was once in marching band  But I’ve challenged myself to be something completely different, and they understood that. To keep up with my changing self, I wanted to change my activities. I auditioned for our school musical, and to much surprise, got a lead.  And now you’re probably thinking that’s not even much of a difference.  But, as a shock to my parents and myself, I decided to audition for our school’s cheerleading team… and I made it. How many people can go from marching band to cheerleading? Apparently just me.

Why I decided to change who I was had truly nothing to do with the stereotypes that go along with these activities. Although I did not care to be the “typical band geek,” it was not the end of the world for me to be the lowest totem pole in high school. Marching band was just something that consumed all my energy, to the point where I was not happy. Sure, I love performing, I’ve been performing since I was 4, but I got sick of it…quickly. I’ve been a member of the cheer squad for one single week, and I feel so much happier. Is it narcissistic to say it’s because I can say I’m a cheerleader? Maybe, but I’m happy with who I’ve changed into.

Interior Architecture major at Chatham University with the ambition to own a chic boutique someday. Lover of fashion, GOD, and all things vintage.