7 Somethings to Do When You Have Nothing to Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Boredom can be crippling, but why be bored when there’s a whole world of somethings to work on? Whether you’ve only got a few minutes in between classes or you just need something for a Wednesday night, here are 7 somethings to keep you busy!

1. Flip through a Woman’s World Magazine. You might be thinking: What? OMG no way! But I’m totes serious! There are interesting facts from experts that really educate the reader on different topics. Plus, whenever your bestie asks for a good read, you can share your favorite articles! 

2. Movie Night With Your BFFL. These nights are always the classic girls-night-in hangouts. Go snack shopping for the best chocolate-covered goodies you can find, and don’t feel guilty about the extra butter on your Orville Redenbacher’s. Set up your movie comfort zone with blankets, pillows, and of course your best friends for life! 

3. Go for a walk. Take a walk with your dog, cat, fish, parrot, guinea pig, even an actual person! Walks are so beneficial for you physically, emotionally, and spiritually. There are all sorts of stressors in our lives, but even a 15-minute walk can give us more energy, help us feel more alert, help us relax, and spend time in the faith of our choice. I often find it makes me more confident! 

4. Write a Card for a Special Someone. There are so many moments that we take for granted in life, especially concerning people with whom we are close. Since texting has become our main hobby, relationship, and motivator in life, we rarely use other forms of communication. Things like talking on the phone and writing cards have become “uncool.” Well, it’s OK expressing your emotions by sending a card; Gorillasorus will not come after you, and Grandma Edna will for sure appreciate it.

5. Plan a Party. Parties are a great way to see your friends and meet new acquaintances. The planning part for parties is the boring part, but if you plan a party when you’re bored, you’ll have more incentive to do so because you have nothing else to do. 

6. Get a New ‘Do. There are days were I prefer a ponytail, but other days I need to break out the straightener. Let your creative side exhibit a fresh new look. Discover what a new hairstyle can do for you self-esteem! Check out this YouTube video on how to Waterfall Braid your own hair! 

7. Do your homework. Yes, I’m talking to the procrastinators. Why do we even go to college? If we want to better ourselves, earn good money, and learn, homework is expected. If noises disturb your work ethic, then find a place where you can concentrate. Homework is an annoying task that prepares us for future exams in college. 

What are your favorite things to do when you’ve got nothing to do? Tell us in the comments!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.