Woman of the Week: Kina De Santis 17′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business, Emphasis in Entrepreneurship

Hometown: Villa Park, CA

Tell us about MotorMood. Where did the idea come from?

My CoFounder had the idea when he was a senior at USC in 2009. He was driving on the freeway and thought it would be cool to communicate emotion on the road. We were working on another idea, but decided to work on MotorMood instead.

What is your involvement with the project?

I’m a CoFounder along with Jesse, Alex and Arman. I’m the Director of Marketing, but at this stage, we all pretty much do everything. I pull in a lot of resources for the product.

What’s a typical day for you like?

Wake up. Immediately check my notifications because I’m addicted to my phone. Get ready while I listen to an audiobook or Startup Grind podcast. Drive over to Launch Labs, Chapman’s student incubator. Get some work done. Grab lunch. Go to class. Back to Launch Labs. Emails, calls, meeting for MotorMood or entrepreneurship program. Goof around with my friends who also work at Launch Labs. Go to an OC Startup/tech event. Hang out with some awesome OC Tech people. Dinner. Home. Work. Sleep. Repeat.

What do you hope to accomplish with MotorMood?

Marc Andreessen notably said “hardware is hard.” I figure that if we can successfully launch a hardware product, we can continue making other interesting products in the future. I believe in learning by doing. Creating MotorMood has taught me more than I have learned in school.

What are you involved in on campus?

Until last week, I worked for the Leatherby Center for Entrepreneurship on marketing and operations. I’ve worked for the program since I was a senior in high school. (Read below for why I not longer work for Leatherby). I’m the Vice President of Marketing for Alpha Kappa Psi, the professional business fraternity. I’m a 3rd generation brother. I’ve been involved since the first semester of my freshman year. For me, it’s a worthy organization to put my time into.

What are your plans for after graduation?

I’ll continue working on/with startups, whether that is in SoCal, NorCal or London, I know that’s what I’ll be doing. What I do in the future depends on the success of what I am currently working on. But, I do know what field I will be working in.

Favorite Chapman memory?

Have you met Michael? He’s part of staff who is always driving around on the golf cart with a smile on his face. He’s actually one of the best parts of Chapman just because of what an awesome person he is. I was walking from Launch Labs to Beckman hall. On my way, Michael straight up stopped the golf cart in the middle of the road on Glassell, smiles, waves and asks me if I want a ride? Of course I’m like “Hell yeah!” We’re driving and catching up. He drops me off and I thank him. Before he drives off, he says “Where else can you do this but at Chapman?” I was actually considering transferring at the time and that one comment made a huge impact on me. Because, honestly, where else can you have an experience like that?

What’s something no one knows about you?

I just accepted a full time job with Real Office Centers (ROC) managing their ROC Education program. I get to create classes and workshops focusing on entrepreneurs, by working with the community and entrepreneurs.

Tell us one fun fact.

I’ve kept the fortune of every fortune cookie that I’ve opened in the past 5 years. I have a canvas that I glue them to. It’s just a nice reminder that there is always more good coming my way.

Best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

Just do whatever makes you happy, regardless of what others think. The irony is that my parents were the ones who told me this and they don’t always agree with my decisions.

Piece of advice to future entrepreneurs?

Know the startup space and how to reach out /connect with people, OR have someone on your team who does. If you have someone who networks, knows people and can get resources fast, you will save so much money and time. People don’t always think about this as a skill. They consider is “luck.” But, every team needs someone like that.