Amazing Women Poets To Watch For National Poetry Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

April is National Poetry Month, and there’s no better way to celebrate it than to hear some amazing and inspiring women poets. 

1. Mary Lambert

The Seattle-born spoken word poet and singer (as heard on Macklemore’s “Same Love”) is also a gay rights activist and proud feminist. Check out her poem “Body Love”. 

2. Yesika Salgado

An incredibly talented Los Angeles based poet, Yesika has been featured on Huffington Post, Upworthy, Everyday Feminism, and many other outlets. Check out her poem, “Brown Girl”.

3. Katelin Wagner

A 21-year-old poet from Los Angeles featured on Button Poetry and Katelin’s poetry, is someone you need to discover. Check out her poem  “Disappearing Act”. 

4. Ari Eastman

Bay area poet Ari Eastman is not only an accomplished spoken word poet, but also a staff writer for Thought Catalog and author of ebook I Promised You I Wouldn’t Write This. Check out her poem “The Love Letter You Deserve”.

5. Sarah Kay

After her TED talk  “If I should Have A Daughter” went viral, Sarah Kay quickly became a poetry icon. She travels the world to teach and perform her work. Check out her poem “The Type”. 

Danielle is a spoken word artist from Chicago and a nationally ranked slam poet who previously competed with the Los Angeles youth team. She has a strong fascination with sunflowers, a love for crows, and an addiction to tattoos.