This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

In a society where technology rules and how many followers you have define popularity, the app Instagram shines.

While most forms of social media are used in order to inform the general public of an individual’s daily routine and recaps of sweaty frat parties, Instagram serves as a platform for people to pick and display their best qualities as a supposedly “accurate” depiction of that individual’s life. These accounts are tricky because they are biased and adjusted in order to portray an image that usually doesn’t tell the full story of the account owner. Instagrams are used to inspire, to show off, and to entertain. According to Statista, there are approximately 400 million monthly active users, clearly showing the app’s popularity. Here are some of the different types of accounts that frequent the site:

1. The Health Nut (@massy.arias)

Bathroom mirror selfies. Gym mirror selfies. Holding impressive amount of weights. Abs. Recipes for protein smoothies. Inspirational captions with the basic premise of “You Can Do It.”

2. The Foodie (@alanapatriciaa)

Aesthetically pleasing. Makes you wonder if they are made of money. Can be dangerous to follow these accounts since they will undoubtedly make you want to eat something.

3. The Selfie Addict (@beyonce)

Usually don’t have tons of followers (unless they are celebrities). Captions seem to be all over the place since everything (and nothing) is relevant when it comes to selfies.

4. The Romantic (@taylorswift)

Pictures of a significant other with a cheesy caption that gives the public very intimate details. Makes you wonder if they ever spend time by themselves. Pictures holding hands. Pictures kissing. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

5. The Fashionista (@helloosandra)

Potentially inspires you to put effort into your outfit for your 8am class. Potentially makes you jealous as this person probably gets free clothes in exchange for taking hot pictures in them. Never seem to say anything about prices in the captions.

6. The Artist (@redhongyi)

Usually promoting themselves by taking lots of pictures of their work. Advertises their concerts, performances, etc. Inspires creativity.

7. The Traveler (@alexstrohl)

Beautiful landscape. Exotic food. Me with native person. Amazing view. Caption about being humbled by the beauty of nature. Inspires you to save up for a summer trip with your friends.

8. The TMI-er (@mileycyrus)

Posts picture of things that you don’t really need to (or want to) see. Example: wounds. Example: dirty kitchen sink. The list goes on…

9. The Show-off (@geazy)

All of their pictures seem to involve things that would cost a lot of money. Example: champagne bottles on champagne bottles. Example: a closet full of shoes from Jeffrey Campbell. Etc. Etc.

10. The Social Butterfly (@jxsmine.b)

Never seems to be alone. Each picture seems to introduce yet another friend of theirs. Takes a lot of group pictures at parties, clubs, venues, etc. Portrays them as the person that knows everyone.