My Campus Celebrity: Emily Garrett

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Emily Garrett is only a sophomore, but she’s already learning quite a bit about being a leader. Emily has been the governor for the Parker Community Government since January — taking the position halfway through the school year. Though intimidating, Emily handled the transition gracefully and even led Parker to become RHA’s Community of the Year. A History major (with an American concentration), Emily isn’t exactly sure what she wants to do after graduation but, luckily, she has plenty of time to figure that out. In the mean time, she is keeping busy on campus and dreaming of perhaps working as a museum curator or on a historical site. She might even open her own cafésomeday.

HC: Why did you decide to join PCG in the first place?
Emily:I wanted to become more involved on campus and get to know more people. I had a lot of spare time my freshman year, and I needed to fill that time this year.

HC:Where you scared to take the governor’s place halfway through the year?
Emily:Yes, but it was exciting as well. I know what to expect and I knew Heather [the previous governor] would still be around if I needed to ask questions. It was more daunting to go to a Board of Governors meeting than the lead PCG because I didn’t know the other governors.

HC:What was your biggest challenge as Parker governor?
Emily: Getting members to stay involved and commit their time to programming. Also having programs that residents would come out to and finding a way to get them to come through publicity. It was also a challenge to change a few things to fit my way of leading because everyone was used to the previous governor’s way of doing things.

HC:Why do you think community governments are important?
Emily:They help promote a sense of togetherness in the community and provide an environment in which residents can meet and do things with other residents.

HC:Will you continue in an RHA position?
Emily:I am going to run for governor of Ram Village next year. I really want to stay involved and will be on the government if I don’t get elected governor.

HC:What’s the most rewarding part of being a part of RHA?
Emily:You get to be in a leadership position that lets you have an impact on campus residents. When a program goes well or you buy a new enhancement that they will really enjoy, it is a good feeling. You also have a lot of support from other governors.

HC:What’s your favorite RHA memory?
Emily: RHA week 2011 was an awesome week. I got to put on a great event (Jackson Pollock Day) in my community with my government, and I got to go to other events on campus and hang out with other governors. It’s the time of the year that all the governors work toward with their governments, putting on one big event to end the year in their residence hall well. It was just so much fun to be at the events and see how well they were going without having to run them and you got to show your support for your fellow governors.

HC:What other organizations are you involved in?
Emily:I am a member at large on the Student Dining Board in which we have a meeting once a week plus we are asked to go to one food place on campus in our free time and give our feedback, and I am a member of the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) that meets once every other week. (This coming year I’ll be the treasurer and will have a meeting with the executive board in between the regular body meetings.)

HC:What are you most excited about for next year?
Emily: I know so many people now in RHA, and I can’t wait to see who is governor next year, and all the great things they will do and the new ideas they will bring to the table.

HC:What do you love most about Carolina?
Emily:I love the sense of community that you get when you join a club or attend an event. You get to meet so many people and make great connections. It’s something that you remember for the rest of your life.

HC:Do you have any advice for underclassmen?
Emily:It might be intimidating coming to Carolina since it is such a big community with so much going on, but the sooner you become involved the more like home it feels and the more great people you will meet that will be there for the rest of your life.

HC:What do you like to do in your spare time?
Emily:When I have spare time at school, which is rare now, I like to hang out with friends, watch TV, go out to eat, cook, go see movies and go to the gym. The gym is my stress reliever and it makes me feel happy and healthy.

HC:What’s your motto?
Emily:It will all work out. (I say it when I get stressed or have a lot to do.)